Wood Splitter Air Filter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'm thinking about taking the air compressor to it then clean it with warm water with soap in it, any suggestions what might work better.

zap

Mine was made out of paper. Got rid of it and bought the washable k and n filter.

Reactions: MasterMech
Reactions: MasterMech and zap
Thanks Smokin, I'll have to do some more searching because the number I pulled off the net for the MTD filter is wrong.

zap

If you are talking about the foam surround, that will work, but without a true washable filter (like Jay pointed to), your gonna end up with a mess. Stick to the air or replace. If using air, blow from the inside out, otherwise you can impregnate the filter element with the tiny particles.

If I get time tonight I will take a look at it, I think it is foam.

zap

If I get time tonight I will take a look at it, I think it is foam.

zap

Often times, there is a foam covering over a paper filter element.

Jags, it was pouring out last night so I never did get a chance to look but Sav was nice enough to email the correct numbers.

Air Filter # 491588
Foam Pre-Cleaner # 491435
Hydraulic Filter (have) 723-0405
Spark Plug - Champion J19LM (have)
Oil - SAE 30 (Have) Advance Auto Brand made by Havoline

The above numbers are for the MTD 20 Ton H/V 1996 Woodsplitter

zap

Jags, it was pouring out last night so I never did get a chance to look but Sav was nice enough to email the correct numbers.

Air Filter # 491588
Foam Pre-Cleaner # 491435
Hydraulic Filter (have) 723-0405
Spark Plug - Champion J19LM (have)
Oil - SAE 30 (Have) Advance Auto Brand made by Havoline

The above numbers are for the MTD 20 Ton H/V 1996 Woodsplitter

zap
Cool beans - it confirms my thoughts about a foam filter before the paper filter. The foam can be cleaned with soapy water - or a can of carb cleaner and an air compressor can do the trick if it is nasty.

Once you price the air filters the k and n starts to make alot of Cents'$.:)

That filter should fit the newer MTD/Troy/Cub splitters with the Honda GC/GCV engines on them too. Should also be a go for you SpeeCo/Huskee 22/28 ton guys too.

I wouldn't run a K&N on anything I own. Had them on a couple vehicles and they always dusted the intake, which stopped after I put normal paper filters in.

The final straw was on my Jeep when I had to pull the intake off for something else and I found a bunch of SAND in it from a trip at Moab, Utah. If that filter was letting sand get by can you imagine what else was going in the engine?!!

Most small engine filters are under $10 anyhow. How often do you really need to change a splitter's filter? If it gets used 20-30hrs a year, would be fine for many years.

I bought the recommended air filters through our local shop this morning, one was $2.95 & the other was $5.25 plus tax for a grand total of $8.77 plus a few good laughs over coffee.

I also bought the Stihl Precleaner (4221-141-0310 A) for the Air Filter on the 660, I'll use it when milling for an extra, change it out after about seven boards.

The young guy while making coffee got called into the back, he never put the carafe underneath so a couple of cups ended up on the floor before someone noticed.

zap

I wouldn't run a K&N on anything I own. Had them on a couple vehicles and they always dusted the intake, which stopped after I put normal paper filters in.

The final straw was on my Jeep when I had to pull the intake off for something else and I found a bunch of SAND in it from a trip at Moab, Utah. If that filter was letting sand get by can you imagine what else was going in the engine?!!

Most small engine filters are under $10 anyhow. How often do you really need to change a splitter's filter? If it gets used 20-30hrs a year, would be fine for many years.

491588S isn't exactly a wallet buster either. ;)

Trick with any K&N is getting it oiled right. Too little and you see dusting like you experienced, too much and it can oil your Mass Airflow Sensor, wreaking havoc. FWIW I've had several K&N products on my vehicles, past & present but I've yet to try any on a small engine.

Reactions: smokinj
They were factory oiled, didn't keep them in long enough to need to clean them. I could blame weird fitment/goofed install on one vehicle, but not on several.

491588S isn't exactly a wallet buster either. ;)

Trick with any K&N is getting it oiled right. Too little and you see dusting like you experienced, too much and it can oil your Mass Airflow Sensor, wreaking havoc. FWIW I've had several K&N products on my vehicles, past & present but I've yet to try any on a small engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.