Wood stack evolution-gettin' there

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Had the kids have a splittin' contest. Quick way to get 2 truckfulls

temporary-2.jpg

temporary-1.jpg

Stack 1 - repurposed grapevine trellis.My Wine was horrible..<> Gifted /Scrounged dead wood of various lengths randomly jammed into trellis (for This year) About 2 cords maple, some standing dead red oak, locust, sass, hedge. black birch, and old seasoned wood a freind wanted to get rid of.Done from Feb-june. Roofin that sucker this winter.

Almost Didn't want to post this mess LOL...hope it gives yall a chuckle.

temporary-5.jpg

Stack 2 - Mostlty White/red oak, hick. probably let this sit this winter and next. got knocked down by crazy storms.stacked too high, not uniform enough, small trees I stacked it against swayed. (cut 'em) wood yard is coming together, though.About a cord 1/2, more behind in weeds needs restacked.

temporary-4.jpg

Stack 3 Same as above, but done a bit slower, better....used large trees to brace, also in "wood yard"

temporary-6.jpg

Thanks to everyone that's helped me get to this point!

This fall - winter- hope to get more standing dead, scrounge dead on ground oak limbs, plus lots of locust.

Reactions: Billybonfire
One will be almost as good as Quads. He has the maul in the right position for pictures LOL :)
I'm betting the red team tricked the blue team into persuading the green team to help with the splitting ;)
Great pics.
What a great day had by all :)

Great pics and good to see you get the kids involved, I have some very similar stacks, between trees and even between a row of old concrete fence posts.
Like you tho I didnt want to post on here, far to scruffy, some of the guys on here are master woodsmen and their stacks are amazing.
I have been inspired into building a proper neat looking woodshed, will post some pics when I have completed my mission.

Billy.

Those are some fine looking stacks..... Nothing to be ashamed of. Nothing but good BTU's.....

Way to teach the kiddos. My oldest is gonna be 11 in Sept. He is quite the help now. . . Good times together :)

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Getting some old axe heads and small mallets at a giant yard sale event we have coming up so they can actually split, too.Saw a post on here with a child splitting that way - great idea. The big one, Mike, keeps asking to use my my new fiskars !!!man that thing is sharp. The little one , Alex, is just as devious as he looks - he took the key, snuck out tried to start the quad yesterday! ( I keep the kill switch engaged, though)

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Getting some old axe heads and small mallets at a giant yard sale event we have coming up so they can actually split, too.Saw a post on here with a child splitting that way - great idea. The big one, Mike, keeps asking to use my my new fiskars !!!man that thing is sharp. The little one , Alex, is just as devious as he looks - he took the key, snuck out tried to start the quad yesterday! ( I keep the kill switch engaged, though)

Sharp is good for an axe. Dull is bad for an axe.

Your stacks are not that bad. Hopefully you've learned to not stack using trees as the ends. Swaying trees means upset wood pile and the rubbing on the bark of the tree is not good for it. Better to stack the ends so they stand by themselves.

Yeah, Shoulda seen that coming, especially with smaller trees LOL...Definitely going to square up the next stacks i do, cutting more uniformly now, or trying to.

I do keep my blades sharp.... trust him with a sharp hatchet, drawknife, etc.. but seeing him try to lift a Fiskars scared the heck outta me.

I just started to do some end stacks (cross stacking) like Backwoods does....m
For my 1st couple, there not bad. This is some slabwood from the Mill next door (Amish).

Its not as hard as I thought. I always used Brackets and 2 x 4's or T-posts...

2012-07-28_17-41-37_656.jpg 2012-07-28_17-42-09_952.jpg

For my 1st couple, there not bad. This is some slabwood from the Mill next door (Amish).

View attachment 70970 View attachment 70971

Sure its easy when your wood is milled to perfection like yours. You are amazing. Even your stacks are perfect. Im pretty OCD and use a 2x4 for a measuring stick to buck the log length wood I get but my stacks are no where as perfect as that.
1018839.jpg

1018841.jpg

Jeez - way to raise the bar, guys - some of those stacks are built better than my deck!

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
They look awesome ( to the OP). Wood drying is money in the bank.

Mine are not picture perfect, but they do the trick :)

wood 2012 4.jpgwood 2012 3 murph.jpg

You'll be warm, and that's what matters !! Bringing the kids into it just makes it better !!

Thanks dixie- nice pup- jrussel mix?

That's the infamous Murphles .... smooth haired fox terrier. AKA The Terriorist :)

Very well done Dexter.

Reactions: DexterDay
Had the kids have a splittin' contest. Quick way to get 2 truckfulls

temporary-2.jpg

temporary-1.jpg

Stack 1 - repurposed grapevine trellis.My Wine was horrible..<> Gifted /Scrounged dead wood of various lengths randomly jammed into trellis (for This year) About 2 cords maple, some standing dead red oak, locust, sass, hedge. black birch, and old seasoned wood a freind wanted to get rid of.Done from Feb-june. Roofin that sucker this winter.

Almost Didn't want to post this mess LOL...hope it gives yall a chuckle.

Hey, I think they look like good warm heat for the winter, not like a mess!. I admit some of the stacks and pics I see on here are almost works of art, but I like any stack that's drying and repsresents BTUs for the winter! Good work!!

Reactions: osagebow
Status
Not open for further replies.