Wood stack trouble!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Well, it's happened.
I split/noodled a spruce down the middle, lengthwise a couple/3 years ago for stack posts. I've been wondering since then how long they'd last. I found out they lasted until about 3 days ago....well, one did. The rest seem to still be sturdy.
I was moving this wood to the shed anyway.:cool: Good excuse to get some treated posts.View attachment 68540 P1000609resize.jpgP1000610resize.jpgP1000611resize.jpg
2nd pic shows the culprit. 3rd shows where it broke at ground level.
4th shows where it should be (pretty much inline with stack behind), but isn't anymore.
Too hot today, but should be almost 20::F cooler tomorrow.:cool:
Those who stack bark up, ignore the wood.....focus on the broken post.;lol

Attachments

• P1000608resize.jpg
    P1000608resize.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 204
Wow, this came out WAY different than when I was typing and uploaded the pics. Everything's out of order. Well, not everything, but close.
1st pic is culprit.
2nd is where it broke.
3rd is where post should be.
Last pic should have been 1st.
This will not deter me from pic posting, but it's a bit whacky.

I hope it's cooler in your neck of the woods, looks like another hot week in the northern New York. Seems like we are always moving firewood PapaDave.

zap

Hot today, so we're taking a little day trip.
I MAY do something outside later.
Forecast is for mild temps and sun until the 20th. I'm sure that'll change by tomorrow.;lol

Shows what happens to wood in contact with the ground.

Sorry, you're not getting any sympathy from me. Sometime in the last couple days, I had between 4 and 6 cord fall over. Well, not all of it fell over, but it all has to be restacked. So, the woodshed is getting filled early this year.......

Yep. Although.....the logs I used as sleepers are almost completely punk free after over 4 years. Those are oak though.
I wasn't really surprised it snapped and planned to replace with treated or poplar soon anyway.
clr8ter, no need for sympathy. I will however, give you some. You've got a bigger problem than I do to deal with.:eek:

Update, but no pics. Yes, I know, I'm fired.
I ended up losing the other half of that log that was also a post, so I cut down some small poplar to use as replacements.
I'm restacking all leftover wood from the south side row into the north stack, and I ended up digging out all the oak posts I put in the ground and also all the oak sleepers on the ground back in '08.
Mostly solid as a rock, except for the bark, and some of that was still intact. Gotta' be the sand.
In total, there are 30 8' logs I'll be c/s/s. Should be between 1/3 and 1/2 cord.
I guess I should go take some pics, before I get lambasted.

Reactions: ScotO
I'm usually one of the first to point out there aren't any pics in someone's post.
I oughta' be strung out in a lawn chair in front of some oak stacks for a day as punishment.==c
#68 is just for the guys who wondered why I didn't stack bark side up. I'm doing that as I restack. I think I like it.
#71 is the single oak post that snapped on me. 30" still in the ground.:mad:

Attachments

• IMG_5368.JPG
    IMG_5368.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5370.JPG
    IMG_5370.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5371.JPG
    IMG_5371.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5373.JPG
    IMG_5373.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 125
I'm usually one of the first to point out there aren't any pics in someone's post.
Yes, yes you are. But you are justified, that is the Hearth.com creedo, remember?
I oughta' be strung out in a lawn chair in front of some oak stacks for a day as punishment.==c
That would be too easy. I'm thinking we ought to tie you up, gag you, take you to a free 'all you can take cut, split and loaded' locust scrounge......let you watch others haul it all away. :p;)

BTW, that re-stack looks nice. Keep those pics coming bud!

Always a pleasure to view your stacks! :) You and a couple others are what started my quest to Woodpile OCD!!!

Sorry to see them fall, but any chance to see pics of your stacks, I will take it! ;)

"That would be too easy. I'm thinking we ought to tie you up, gag you, take you to a free 'all you can take cut, split and loaded' locust scrounge......let you watch others haul it all away. :p;)"
NOOOOOO, not THAT. Anything but THAT!

Dave, some day I'm going to have to stop and show you why you no longer should set posts for stacking wood and no need to noodle either. You have some of the very best looking stacks of any of us so just think what they would look like with ends that don't need posts! ;)

Well, it's happened.
I split/noodled a spruce down the middle, lengthwise a couple/3 years ago for stack posts. I've been wondering since then how long they'd last. I found out they lasted until about 3 days ago....well, one did. The rest seem to still be sturdy.
I was moving this wood to the shed anyway.:cool: Good excuse to get some treated posts.View attachment 68540View attachment 68543View attachment 68544View attachment 68545
2nd pic shows the culprit. 3rd shows where it broke at ground level.
4th shows where it should be (pretty much inline with stack behind), but isn't anymore.
Too hot today, but should be almost 20::F cooler tomorrow.:cool:
Those who stack bark up, ignore the wood.....focus on the broken post.;lol
What is noodeling? Dang Dave how many cords would you say you have, looks good.

Noodling is cutting a round length-wise.
There's only about 6 cord in those stacks.
Dennis, thanks, but I like my posts. I've done the cribbing thing in the shed, and it takes too much time for my taste.......I can't afford to go any slower for fear of going in reverse.:cool:
Maybe I'll try it before I redo the stacks I tore up.

Status
Not open for further replies.