wood storage on the cheap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
I check Craigslist often and I see these quite often http://southcoast.craigslist.org/for/639112104.html and I wondered if anyone has used one of these for low cost wood containment? With a little effort you could even add a roof... What do you folks think?

Ray

It would work but that doesn't make for a large enough wood pile for me.

Along the same lines, in farm country you can still occasionally find the old round corn cribs and they can make a good place for wood storage.

Great if there is a leash law for rounds in your town.

I'm envisioning not stacking splits in there and It's starting to look like an attractive albeit expensive containment area.

I still find pressure treated 4x4s and a couple concrete blocks a tad cheaper (but maybe not as pretty or easy)

Doesn't look particularly cheap to me. You can get wood to stack very nicely all by itself after it's split. I use half-rounds in pairs alternating direction to build end pillars for the ricks...sometimes a shim here or there to ensure stability, then just fill in the space between the ends with stacked splits. If you're going to stack your wood out in the open, you'll want a top cover of some sort during your rain/snow season, but a simple tarp will serve for that. A little time spent leveling the ground, and then some pressure treated beams (or even just 2"x4"s) to serve as a simple platform (two per rick), and yer in business. Or...take the $250.00 and get some materials and build a for-real woodshed...it'll look better on your property than a dog kennel filled with wood with a tarp over it. Rick

$250 isn't cheap for wood storage, at least not to me. I have a large supply of pallets (free) for the bottom, and have gotten all my tarps for the top free as well. (Good old Menards gives them away free with rebate all the time for some reason.) Even if you have to buy your tarps, they don't cost very much. My brother also scavenged a really large one for me, most useful thing he has done in years. Pallets can be gotten free almost anywhere, ask on craigslist or freecycle if you don't know where to look.

I have also gotten a lot of chain link fencing free as well (the local recycling center/dump has an excellent metal recycling dumpster that you can take things out of.) We don't use the chain link fencing for firewood storage, though, we gave it to my BIL and FIL to make compost bins. If you look around, you can get all kinds of great things free. People throw out really great stuff in our country.

Status
Not open for further replies.