Wood Storage & Termites

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozie

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2010
SW IN
If I have wood left over come Spring (if it ever comes) is it OK to leave that wood on the concrete patio next to the brick house? (leaving some space between stack and wall of house) Would this be a bad idea? I've never had a termite problem, but don't want to invite one either. Or should I move the wood out in the yard until next year and then haul it back?

If it was me I would move the wood. Go to Home Depot and get some 6"x12" block. If you have access to pallets use them. If not, buy some 2x4's. I have had those bastards in my house before. It is not fun.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I've been thinking about this too. I store my wood in my barn and take 2 weeks worth at a time into a room off my attached garage. I know I won't have left over wood in the storage room, but will likely have some in the barn. I was thinking at first about leaving it there till next season, but I think I've decided to move it - just not worth the chance of getting termites, carpenter ants, etc. Cheers!

I don't think I've ever seen a termite. Don't you need wet/rot before they become an issue?

Termites might be an issue but if you have fireants up where you're at they might become a problem, too...they tend to love getting in piles of wood sitting at ground level. The cement block/2x4 runner idea is what I'm using for my wood seasoning structures...I'll probably use them for storage, too.

I'm using the cement block/wood foundations, they are 12' long and designed to be 4' tall resulting in 1/2 cord stacked on each. You could make them ever how long you desire.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66340/P18/#811741

Dry wood stored off the floor/ground in a barn that doesn't have a moisture problem...I would think their wouldn't/shouldn't be a problem there. Think about all the folks with woodsheds designed precisely for storing/preserving firewood. It appears that ground contact and moisture are the two primary things to avoid. With as many folks that successfully store their wood outside/uncovered it seems that avoiding ground contact is the more important aspect.

Best wishes,
Ed

Intheswamp said:
Termites might be an issue but if you have fireants up where you're at they might become a problem, too...they tend to love getting in piles of wood sitting at ground level. The cement block/2x4 runner idea is what I'm using for my wood seasoning structures...I'll probably use them for storage, too.

I'm using the cement block/wood foundations, they are 12' long and designed to be 4' tall resulting in 1/2 cord stacked on each. You could make them ever how long you desire.

Dry wood stored off the floor/ground in a barn that doesn't have a moisture problem...I would think their wouldn't/shouldn't be a problem there. Think about all the folks with woodsheds designed precisely for storing/preserving firewood. It appears that ground contact and moisture are the two primary things to avoid. With as many folks that successfully store their wood outside/uncovered it seems that avoiding ground contact is the more important aspect.

Best wishes,
Ed

I agree - I don't think it would be an issue - but......I think I'll only have a little left over, so I might not take the (even small) chance. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Intheswamp said:

Best wishes,
Ed

I agree - I don't think it would be an issue - but......I think I'll only have a little left over, so I might not take the (even small) chance. Cheers!
Uh, just looking at your signature it looks like you have/had 20 cords? Is the wood in the barn just what you stored in there and you have more outside? Just wondering if you burned 20 cords this year??? If there's not much left in there it shouldn't be a problem to move, but....it'd be *real* good by next year if it's high and dry. ;)

Ed

SolarAndWood said:
I don't think I've ever seen a termite. Don't you need wet/rot before they become an issue?

No Sir! I've had termites do major damage on a three year old house, eating up 2 x 4 wall studs. There was no moisture or wood rot involved. They just need a moist place in the ground to nest. They eat through sheet rock, too. Down here in the south we are seeing Formosa termites that are reported as eating almost everything.

Quoting one source:

Although they feed mostly on wood, they will eat other cellulose-containing materials such as cardboard and paper. However, they are known to chew through foam insulation boards, thin lead and copper sheeting, plaster, asphalt, and some plastics."

Intheswamp said:
NH_Wood said:
Intheswamp said:

Best wishes,
Ed

Uh, just looking at your signature it looks like you have/had 20 cords? Is the wood in the barn just what you stored in there and you have more outside? Just wondering if you burned 20 cords this year??? If there's not much left in there it shouldn't be a problem to move, but....it'd be *real* good by next year if it's high and dry. ;)

Ed

I store 5 cord in the barn for the winter. About 19 currently in outside stacks. Oh I'm crazy, but not crazy enough to move 15 cord of wood again! :cheese: Cheers!

DonNC said:
Sounds like its time to treat the yard with something to keep those guys away!

Well, that was a LONG time ago. Funny thing is, I had found some activity in a flower bed near our front door. They build little mud tunnels up the side of the brick wall and then into a weep hole or a tiny crack in the mortar. Pest control came out, inspected, found no interior signs. They trenched along the foundation and put their treatment down.

About a year later we started seeing signs of activity: little pinholes in the sheetrock, sawdust on the shoe molding around the wall, etc.
We had the company come back out. They opened up the wall and found a great deal of damage to the framing around the front door, exactly where the first signs of swarming were noted a year earlier. Almost a thousand dollars to repair. The Pest control Company had a guarantee against damage after their treatment. By this time they had also done their second annual treatment and inspection. They balked at paying for the repairs. I showed their district manager a copy of their original inspection showing "No Damage or signs of activity inside the house."
Two treatments later their own inspector turned up damage.

I asked the district manager "How can you not accept responsibility for this?" They cut me a check on the spot. Fifteen years later when we sold we had still not had another sign of termites.

We are careful not to put any wood (chips, logs, etc) against the house. Too much risk.

They used TalStar as the chemical treatment on my new home construction. Put it in the footings and then sprayed the entire foundation area after filling up to pour concrete. I do not have an annual plan right now. I am hoping the treatment works I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.