wood stove damper problem please help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoosterBoy

Jul 5, 2006
CT
hay guys just installed new wood stove and started my first fire. when i get the stack temps up to 400 450 i close the damper and i don't notice the fire dampening down it stays the same almost like the damper dose nothing. temperature here to day is in the 70s
outside im trying to get the stove to burn with the air tubs like i saw at the store but dose not work. what do you think it could be
that i have to much draft ?

thanks
Jason

little more info is needed like stove age chimney set up

hay don stove is bran new avalon Olympic chimney size is a total of 14 feet from the top of the stoves flu outlet to the top of the chimney and use 6 inch ht103 my stack temps do go down when i close the chimney bypass damper on the top but when i close the bottom air control damper nothing happens the fire dose not slow down from lack of oxygen.

thanks
Jason

Possibly since it was in the 70's the draft was just supporting the fire and air vollulme made no difference.

Draft is better with a temp differential between inside and outside temps. Wait till its colder then give it a go

Check the door gasket. I have a Lopi Freedom - same manufacturer - same air controls - and the door gasket on ours wasn't 100% after the first year - we had those run away drafts. Replaced the door gasket - got control of the fire again.

thanks elk so your saying when it's warm out the chimney remains more balanced and allows air from the outside to get down into the stove. but when it's cold out the draft is so strong that the air only go's one way and that's up so air cant come down and feed the fire? therefore air from inside your house is needed to regulate the fire

do i have that right?

thanks
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.