Wood stove ID. 1980-81 Stovework knobs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

94SS

Dec 29, 2021
Lincoln, Nebraska
Anyone have a idea what brand stove this is. No info when house was purchased. Can’t find anything about stove works. Thanks.

0C4CA0AB-6002-43C3-8EEB-602D9E17E08F.jpeg 9F92115D-5D18-47C7-9515-7AB1F6BCC22A.jpeg B39D1F85-45F3-49D3-A34F-B26E59D3E7D2.jpeg

Reactions: Moldy
That has a huge window. How often do you clean it? Can you get a shot of the full label. That should include the manufacturer info. One thing is evident, the clearance requirements are not being honored.

Window is 24 inch by 12 . I have only been cleaning the window once a week if no black marks. I will have to get behind the stove if I need a better pic when it cools down. I thought it was just some sort of canadian inspection label. Underwriters laboratories of Canada, No. 285283, Model 10. I saw that I wasn’t obeying the rules but really didn’t want to take the stacks back outside.

52BEA629-2D0A-4059-9A0E-F3BD4F243C5B.jpeg E8EE7596-4B46-47CF-A2DB-E2FE3CE3589D.jpeg

Ive dealt with these stoves before. They were manufactured by a company called Arcson in Canada, that is a Model 10. There is almost no info online about them, they are not in business anymore. I figured it out because I had a stove with those knobs, and googled manufacturers in London, Ontario, which was listed in the stove, and saw Elmira still makes stoves in that town(Ive heard of and seen many Elmira stoves), called them, ended up talking to the owners secretary who asked the owner who was right there, and he got on the phone and he told me about Arcson, and they are no longer company. Picture of the Arcson I restored for a local.
661A6E68-827F-4D00-9D61-6D2EA8A83312.jpeg2EDA01AE-84DC-411C-8FA3-56B2473AFA23.jpeg

Ive dealt with these stoves before. They were manufactured by a company called Arcson in Canada, that is a Model 10. There is almost no info online about them, they are not in business anymore. I figured it out because I had a stove with those knobs, and googled manufacturers in London, Ontario, which was listed in the stove, and saw Elmira still makes stoves in that town(Ive heard of and seen many Elmira stoves), called them, ended up talking to the owners secretary who asked the owner who was right there, and he got on the phone and he told me about Arcson, and they are no longer company. Picture of the Arcson I restored for a local.
View attachment 289163View attachment 289164
Any idea if they handle heavy use well or is it a stove you want to upgrade? Looks like it might be made from 1/4 steel. Had a sweet smell over 500 degrees that seems to have cleared up after about 30 fires. Thanks.

I have not heard from the local guy who brought it to me to restore, but last I knew it was working great.

94SS - thanks for posting this, I've been looking for info since joining this forum on our stove's! Finally
As you can see in the pictures, Ive modified ours to draw combustion air in from out side by removing the side air inlet knobs and piping. this stove is heavy duty in design and longevity. inspected yearly in spring and fall never needed cleaning on chimney. Bought our old 1888 900sq ft house with it. Used every season since 1988. When I converted combustion air inlets over it saved a significant amount of wood and made the extreem ends of the upstairs warmer by less vacuum inside. I was now inline looking for the estimated square footage to heat as I am considering removing the siding and placing sheathing with exterior insulation on to increase R-value. Currently our first renov 15yrs ago furred studs and placed R-24 Roxul in cavity. I use about 1 bush cord per yr. Dec 1st through to March, maybe 1.5 if burning early like Oct Nov. House temps are 29/30C in living room, 25C opposite side of house, upstairs is 22C in bedrooms when outdoor amb is minus 21C yesterday and again now as I write this . High efficiency gas heat with registers downstairs only.

Deranged Hermit - thanks for that info glad you posted that as you provided us with valuable info. I have not touched this stove at all, firebrick, glass, insulation gasket, black steel chimney, ss insulated CSA through the roof, is all original.

Do an occational 480 - 500 F burn once in a while but always maintain 200 to 350. with a target value of no more than 300. Only time I physically cleaned the chimney system was when I renovated in 2004, other than that yearly inspections

Below is my info added to this post - following
Marv
Ontario Canada

Resized_20220116_083244.jpeg 20220116_100438.jpg 20220116_103512.jpg

Attachments

• Concord Woodstove our info.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 86
Last edited: