Wood Stove Insert Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny1977

Jan 25, 2009
Portland, Oregon
Hey Guys,

I am new here, and am getting close to buying my first wood stove insert. I have a big fireplace opening (34.5 in wide X 30.25 in tall X 25 in deep).
My house was built in 1911,i and still has the old wood windows and not much insulation. The house is a 2 story with a basement. The main floor where
I would put the insert is about 740 sqft, the upstairs is about 730 sqft, and the basement is about another 740sqft.
I have been thinking that I should probably get the biggest insert I can fit inside my firebox. The Dealer down the street
has some really nice Country inserts, one in particular that I would like is the PerformerC 210.
These inserts are nice however they are really expensive, I think the insert alone without fan is like $2400 dollars. Is this one of the better
inserts for the money? Or does anyone recommend another make. I am wondering if I can heat my whole house with one of these inserts.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I want to buy the right insert the first time around.

Thanks, Johnny

I'd look at the pacific energy pacific insert if I was in your situation.

Hi and welcome to the forum,
I am not an expert nor can I comment on the particular insert that you're interested in, but I don't think that price is out of line. Also consider that the flue needs a ss liner all the way to the top for a cost of about 800.00. I got a Regency I3100 and my buddy got a large Napoleon insert and we're both happy with our purchases. I think that the largest insert that you can place in the fireplace should give you good heat output as long as it is properly installed and the wood you burn is properly seasoned. I'm sure you'll get some responses that can answer your questions more specifically. Good luck. A fan is essential to get heat from an insert.
Rich

Look for a large firebox to get heat into your home, especially given the likely insulation and air leakage rates in a home like yours. For max heat, you might consider a hearth stove install, but that depends on your floor space etc. My Jotul Kennebec is a great unit, but has a small firebox and doesn't give long burns - not a problem for me, as I like the process of having a fire as much as the fire itself.

Read the manuals for any stoves you consider - read lots of them - you will see differences in what they want for clearances and hearth extension materials, R/K values of materials, etc. In the end, those details can be may more important than purchase price.

I really like the looks of the Vermont Castings Winter Warm small insert. Does anyone
have any experience with these? I've heard that VC has had some problems with some
of their stoves. Is this a good one? I guess the 2 stoves that I have liked so far are the
Country Performer C210 and the Vermont Castings Winter Warm small insert. The country
is a bit bigger and doesn't have the catalyst to clean out. Also the fan is in the front on the
country making it easier to service. I guess I lean more towards the country insert, but like
the looks of the Vermont Castings a bit more.

Thanks for the input Brent. I'll check out some Jotul's. There is a dealer just down the road from my house.
I really like the looks of your fireplace insert! Would look great under my mantel.

I live in a 100 year old plus home. 3700 sq ft. I have a Napoleon 1402 insert and it really helps to keep the house warm. Its not enough by itself this time of the year. but its great to have the main living area cozy warm. I expect to cut 1000 gallons of fuel oil use this year . I think your on the right track get the biggest insert with the LARGEST FIREBOX you can get . in the old homes you need all the heat you can get. make sure you get a proper liner, blockoff plate . and start working on your wood supply, properly seasoned wood gives offs vastly more heat.

Hey, Johnny1977
<>I really like the looks of the Vermont Castings Winter Warm small insert. Does anyone
have any experience with these? I've heard that VC has had some problems with some
of their stoves. Is this a good one? <>

Until VC/Monessen/Majestic or WHATEVER they call themselves these days,
figures out how to put some value, good customer service & better product knowledge
BACK into their operation, I'd stay away from them...
The WinterWarm inserts were pretty fanastic heaters in their day,
but they've been left in the dust by the newer manufacturers...
The WW system has too many moving parts to worry about & replacement parts are DEFINITELY an issue...

<>I guess the 2 stoves that I have liked so far are the
Country Performer C210 and the Vermont Castings Winter Warm small insert. The country
is a bit bigger and doesn't have the catalyst to clean out. Also the fan is in the front on the
country making it easier to service. I guess I lean more towards the country insert, but like
the looks of the Vermont Castings a bit more<>

I have no experience with the Country product line, but I'm sure somebody here has & will chirp in...

There is a huge thread on here from folks with the Rockland C550 - worth reading thru. The Kennebec is probably too small for your install as a primary heater, but if you are looking to use it when you are home and will be letting the other heat source take over once it burns out/when you aren't home, give it a look. About that mantel - look at the manuals online and checkout the mantel clearances - real hard to get a mantel to meet the requirements - mine is actually a concrete retaining wall cap - non combustible.

Hey thanks for everyone's input. I think I am going to go with the Rockland C550 Jotul. Seems to be the best stove for my application.
Before i buy the stove however, i want to redo my hearth and surround with a different tile/slate. I have a 1911 dutch colonial house
and want to do something period correct with the tile/slate design. Does anyone have any suggestions, for designs. Is there a website
with fireplace pictures to give me some ideas? I really want to get some ideas before I dive into this project.

thanks Johnny

Thanks for the Jotul advice! I think I found the right stove (Rockland C550). Now I need to pick find a nice surround
for my existing hearth/mantel. The picture gallery is nice, I'll post my heart as soon as its complete.

Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.