Wood thieves????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMMA RAY

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2011
PA.
Our wood is disappearing...we are not burnin all of it...I know that for a fact...I think someone is stealin it...Did anyone have that happen and how do you approach the situation???? Very concerned....This is a very serious issue...DON'T MESS WITH MY WOOD STASH!!!!

Borrow a game camera. Deer season is over, maybe someone will help you out.

don't know what a game camera is...not a hunter...please elaborate.....

At night?
How about a motion detector light ?
Video camera?
Fence?
Alarm (trip wire, motion, battery powered)?
Footprints in the snow?
Tire tracks?

For our remote cabins here, we use bear boards to keep bears out. Keeps many critters out.

It's like Fort Knox here.....husband has so many motion detector lights up you would have to be stupid to do it at night...(we locked outselves out one nite and tried to break in and could not it is so tight) then hid a key somewhere, duh? shoulda woulda a long time ago? Think its during the time the husband leaves and I come home...think its the neighbors...I thought I saw some footprints to the wood pile but blew it off...thought it was the husband but now I am wondering and gettin ticked off thinkin about it....I am thinkin a boobie trap....no hecklers please, this is a serious matter. When it's your wood...it's yours!!!!

GAMMA RAY said:
don't know what a game camera is...not a hunter...please elaborate.....

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=game+camera&_sacat=See-All-Categories

You set them up and they take pictures when something triggers the sensor. You can download the pictures. If your neighbors are having a hard time right now, there might be a group or program in your town that would drop off a load of firewood to help them out. Here, the American Legion for example, does that for older vets or their widows.

Thanks, JimboM, will give her a looker see......over and out...

GAMMA RAY said:
Thanks, JimboM, will give her a looker see......over and out...

Actually, no such phrase exists in radio telephony as "over and out." "Over" awaits further response; "out" means end of conversation. True, Broderick Crawford used to say that on his fifties cop show, but you don't have to date yourself to there. You could say "roger, wilco."

One old yankee trick to spot wood thieves was to bore a hole in the end of a piece some inches deep, fill it most of the way with black powder, and close the hole with a plug of same wood. (Use a plug cutter.) Then if you see a sudden puff of smoke, well ..... Once generally did the trick.

Of course, you don't want to put such a piece in your own stove.

Not suggesting you'd do that, but it can be gentler on the perp than a bear trap.

Totally aside, have you seen any of the YouTube videos of black powder wood-splitting? Pure Darwin's List stuff.

GAMMA RAY said:
I..think its the neighbors...I thought I saw some footprints to the wood pile but blew it off...thought it was the husband but now I am wondering and gettin ticked off thinkin about it....!

I'd go knock on the door & ask.
If no, ask them to help watch out for wood thieves with you.
Let them know your thinking of calling the cops & hidden video surveillance cameras.
Be nice about it, you aren't sure who it is "YET"!!

think you lost me there CTyank,,,,,,ok....roger, wilco.........................................................................................................................................(That means folks....I'm out for the nite) :roll:

Strip an extension cord, wet the ground,throw it over the pile and plug it in. Youll hear em screamin.

What I think of thieves -

I keep one large stack about 6 ft tall & 13ft long at NE corner of property line,against my north fence with one neighbor & my east fence with another neighbor.The south end of stack butts up against a big walnut tree.In Aug 2009,a Saturday morning I was in back looking for some lumber underneath a tarp on an extra picnic table,near that stack.I noticed a big space missing along the north end,about 3 ft square infact.I had a good idea where it went,which I'll explain further.
My then neighbors on the east - a younger couple had only lived there a few months - she worked for the DNR in some capacity - he did nothing that I could see,since he was always home when I got home from work in late afternoon.And in summer he would sit in the backyard until 3-4 AM around this chimnea outside burner,burning wood & drinking beer all night.After noticing that huge hole in my woodpile,I started to smell smoldering wood from over the fence - looked over & lo & behold,there was some of MY wood still sticking up in that firepit. My parents happened to be visiting at the time,they were in my house at the time.I was furious,I immediately jumped fence to the north,then back over it in their backyard.I run up to their porch,practically ripped the screen door off the hinges,pounded on the door & started screaming "GET OUT HERE YOU F-ING THIEF OR I'll DRAG YOUR ASS OUT!!!" Turns out others heard me 2 blocks over,I was ballistic.Meanwhile my parents heard the commotion & went out back to see what was going on. I said "Here's my phone,call the cops NOW!"

The woman came to the door,she had no idea what was happening so I explained calmly & pointed to their firepit.She said 'he's inside asleep' (This was almost 10AM) I said "Tell him to come out,I want to talk about something..." He finally showed up,he could barely stand & you could tell he was higher than Charlie Sheen lol.I kept telling him what happened,he said 'uhmmm it was our roommate,he's been staying here for a couple weeks,he sits outside all night blah blah..." I replied "I dont care who it is,they're a goddamn thief!!" She was literally begging "pleease dont call the cops..we'll do anything,replace the wood,we have our own wood why would we steal from you blah blah..." I showed him the firepit with my pieces of Honey Locust still smoldering in it.Soon 2 cops showed up & 1 said "Is this where I can get free firewood? ;-) " I told the cop, "If you look at that burning piece,I can prove its mine because it was ripped with my saw,I can match the kerf marks from my saw teeth." The cop said "please calm down,we're here to sort this out,if possible..."

Long story short - they took all our names,I agreed not to file any formal complaint but I had 1 yr to follow up on this if any future incidents occured.Immediately after the cops left,the couple went back inside their house,opened ALL the windows & outside doors,put several fans in them to 'air them out' for whatever reason..... :roll:

I think they got my message ;-P I hadnt seen either one for several months outside once Spring arrived. My neighbor to the north told me last July,"Oh,they moved away in June,she apparantly got a job with the DNR in Washington State & took the deadbeat boyfriend with her..."

maybe they also have a side job...testing and rating the potency of "medical mary jane"

in reference to the story above

I'll throw it out there that any kind of booby-trap is most likely to catch yourself or a family member. This is coming from a guy who's dad once booby-trapped our 3-wheeler with a trigger to fire a double-powder 12-guage shell with shot removed inside a 6x8 cinderblock room in our basement. I was terrified I'd forget to disarm it & have my eardrums blown out.
I'd first try posting a sign on the pile just telling them to stop. No threats. If it doesn't work your not out any money, your kid isn't electrocuted & you're not on trial. Theives are generally cowards, just knowing you know might be enough to stop it. If not, well, plenty of ideas for Plan B.

[quote author="Thistle" date="1299217289"]What I think of thieves -
quote]

would of took me a week to type that Thistle ;-) ...thieves are not welcome around my place!!! loon

"But It doesn't belong to anybody cause it's been setting there in that pile for over a year. I was just doing you a favor by moving it" Besides it's just wood. Don't get in such a huff"

Now if it was a full can of gas that would be steeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leaddog

do you think that maybe "poopsy" (your sweetie) is moving it??? maybe getting the firepit ready for a weekend surprise??
something similar happened years ago..99 lbs has a tool shed (no lock) that we keep outdoor stuff in-tools, lawn furniture, grills, decorations (christmas), etc. you get the idea. i had found a real good deal on charcoal lighter $1.50 for a quart so i bought about 8 of em. her son would get a truck load of buddies and go into the woods out south to have bonfires. i didn't discover all the charcoal fluid missing until the following spring, when grilling season started! just didn't know it was him, right away.

Sounds a lot like my worthless pot smoken neighbors- only they have not had the decency to move away.
I responded to their wood theiving ways by putting up a security light, an 80' long x 6' high fence, security cameras and a few choice words to not touch my firewood. The firewood has been safe for a year now and there is no longer the need to speak to these freeloaders or even acknowledge they exist.

Thistle said:
What I think of thieves -

I keep one large stack about 6 ft tall & 13ft long at NE corner of property line,against my north fence with one neighbor & my east fence with another neighbor.The south end of stack butts up against a big walnut tree.In Aug 2009,a Saturday morning I was in back looking for some lumber underneath a tarp on an extra picnic table,near that stack.I noticed a big space missing along the north end,about 3 ft square infact.I had a good idea where it went,which I'll explain further.
My then neighbors on the east - a younger couple had only lived there a few months - she worked for the DNR in some capacity - he did nothing that I could see,since he was always home when I got home from work in late afternoon.And in summer he would sit in the backyard until 3-4 AM around this chimnea outside burner,burning wood & drinking beer all night.After noticing that huge hole in my woodpile,I started to smell smoldering wood from over the fence - looked over & lo & behold,there was some of MY wood still sticking up in that firepit. My parents happened to be visiting at the time,they were in my house at the time.I was furious,I immediately jumped fence to the north,then back over it in their backyard.I run up to their porch,practically ripped the screen door off the hinges,pounded on the door & started screaming "GET OUT HERE YOU F-ING THIEF OR I'll DRAG YOUR ASS OUT!!!" Turns out others heard me 2 blocks over,I was ballistic.Meanwhile my parents heard the commotion & went out back to see what was going on. I said "Here's my phone,call the cops NOW!"

The woman came to the door,she had no idea what was happening so I explained calmly & pointed to their firepit.She said 'he's inside asleep' (This was almost 10AM) I said "Tell him to come out,I want to talk about something..." He finally showed up,he could barely stand & you could tell he was higher than Charlie Sheen lol.I kept telling him what happened,he said 'uhmmm it was our roommate,he's been staying here for a couple weeks,he sits outside all night blah blah..." I replied "I dont care who it is,they're a goddamn thief!!" She was literally begging "pleease dont call the cops..we'll do anything,replace the wood,we have our own wood why would we steal from you blah blah..." I showed him the firepit with my pieces of Honey Locust still smoldering in it.Soon 2 cops showed up & 1 said "Is this where I can get free firewood? ;-) " I told the cop, "If you look at that burning piece,I can prove its mine because it was ripped with my saw,I can match the kerf marks from my saw teeth." The cop said "please calm down,we're here to sort this out,if possible..."

Long story short - they took all our names,I agreed not to file any formal complaint but I had 1 yr to follow up on this if any future incidents occured.Immediately after the cops left,the couple went back inside their house,opened ALL the windows & outside doors,put several fans in them to 'air them out' for whatever reason..... :roll:

I think they got my message ;-P I hadnt seen either one for several months outside once Spring arrived. My neighbor to the north told me last July,"Oh,they moved away in June,she apparantly got a job with the DNR in Washington State & took the deadbeat boyfriend with her..."

+1 Game Camera

Booby trapping may yield undesired results and a extended stay in orange pj's.

If I suspected the neighbors, I would probably first go right to the neighbor and state that someone has been stealing my firewood. His reaction would then perhaps dictate the next step. If he didn't say anything or act differently, I'd then ask for his help in catching the thief. I would also inform him that from time to time I would be sitting nearby with a shotgun just watching that pile of wood.

I also would definitely set up a game camera. Right now, Cabela has on for $60. Dick's quite often has the cheap cameras. I like the infrared as there is no flash at night to let them know their picture has been taken. You may have to make some adjustments if you don't get the face of the thief but that is okay.

btw, the game cameras can be used for many things! Use your imagination a bit. Hey, my wife even likes them by her bird feeders.

Backwoods Savage said:
btw, the game cameras can be used for many things! Use your imagination a bit. Hey, my wife even likes them by her bird feeders.

And if you have cats, you can set up a game camera inside to find out what the little darlings are up to when you are asleep.

Then again, you may not want to know. :wow: >:-( :bug:

Do a little target shooting from on the roof. Wear all black. Ask the neighbors to let you know if your sniper training disturbs them.

Seriously, though - do you have a dog that can roam the place? I'm pretty sure with my three that no one would bother the woodpile. The barking would drive them batty within minutes (though the wagging tails and face-licking might not be so intimidating). Otherwise, the game camera and a cheap motion light should do fine. I'd be hesitant to ask the neighbors if they did it, as someone mentioned say that you think someone's been grabbing some wood and you'd like them to let you know if they see anyone.

WhitePine said:
Backwoods Savage said:

And if you have cats, you can set up a game camera inside to find out what the little darlings are up to when you are asleep.

Then again, you may not want to know. :wow: >:-( :bug:

You won't leave the butter uncovered aver again...

just sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.