Wood turning blanks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Anyone have any idea's on the better size's for wood turning blanks?

Depends on what project you got in mind.

Peppermills 3" x 3" x 6" to 15" length
Candlesticks- 1 1/2" square to 2" x 2" x 6" to 12" length
Table Legs depending on furniture style - 2" x 2" up to 4" x 4" lengths 14" to 36"

Bowl Blanks - 2" thick x 6 x 6 up to 5"-8" thick x 24" x 24" (if you got the heavy duty lathe with cast iron headstock/tailstock,several hundred pounds of weight & multiple speed/variable speed pulleys) In my stash I have some 5" thick x 16" square Walnut & Cherry milled about 12 yrs ago,havent had a need for them yet though. Various Mulberry,Hickory,Silver Maple of random sizes also.Plus a vast assortment of various dense tropical & other domestics bought yrs ago when they were actually cheap.

Platters,Trays,Round Cutting Boards,Cheese Boards etc - 1" to 2" thick, 8" to 12" square.

Rolling Pins - 2 1/2" to 3" square x 12" -16" length.

Thistle said:
Depends on what project you got in mind.

Peppermills 3" x 3" x 6" to 15" length
Candlesticks- 1 1/2" square to 2" x 2" x 6" to 12" length
Table Legs depending on furniture style - 2" x 2" up to 4" x 4" lengths 14" to 36"

Bowl Blanks - 2" thick x 6 x 6 up to 5"-8" thick x 24" x 24" (if you got the heavy duty lathe with cast iron headstock/tailstock,several hundred pounds of weight & multiple speed/variable speed pulleys) In my stash I have some 5" thick x 16" square Walnut & Cherry milled about 12 yrs ago,havent had a need for them yet though. Various Mulberry,Hickory,Silver Maple of random sizes also.Plus a vast assortment of various dense tropical & other domestics bought yrs ago when they were actually cheap.

Platters,Trays,Round Cutting Boards,Cheese Boards etc - 1" to 2" thick, 8" to 12" square.

Rolling Pins - 2 1/2" to 3" square x 12" -16" length.

Wow Your on it....Looking at running blanks to sell. Wonder if there a better stock to carry or would you want the whole ball of wax?

It should be OK,most turners like to have variety of stock sizes.Unless they specialize in making or selling 1 or 2 items like large bowls or small candlesticks.And if figure is extra special,like curly grain,sound knots/burls etc that is worth more than plainer straight grain stuff.

When I'm cutting blanks from local stuff,even though its all free,I dont shoot for specific sizes - its all random thickness,width & length to start with.I cut what clear pieces the log will yield.Depends what each log looks like.Any slabs,cracked pieces,heart center,major defects will be fuel.Rough them from the log (if over 10"-12"diameter) with chain saw,smaller ones bandsaw with 12" riser block does the job.If logs are over 3" long I use Alaskan mill,shorter stuff cut freehand.

Thistle said:
It should be OK,most turners like to have variety of stock sizes.Unless they specialize in making or selling 1 or 2 items like large bowls or small candlesticks.And if figure is extra special,like curly grain,sound knots/burls etc that is worth more than plainer straight grain stuff.

When I'm cutting blanks from local stuff,even though its all free,I dont shoot for specific sizes - its all random thickness,width & length to start with.I cut what clear pieces the log will yield.Depends what each log looks like.Any slabs,cracked pieces,heart center,major defects will be fuel.Rough them from the log (if over 10"-12"diameter) with chain saw,smaller ones bandsaw with 12" riser block does the job.If logs are over 3" long I use Alaskan mill,shorter stuff cut freehand.

Seems where on the same page here...I am running into some really nice piece's. I think my customer is the hobbist smaller lathes. (like me lol 1950' craftsman)

The logs I have on hand really do any direction on long stright one's. Have a a 44 inch oak stump I still need to get its twisted harder than anything I have seen.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Seems where on the same page here...I am running into some really nice piece's. I think my customer is the hobbist smaller lathes. (like me lol 1950' craftsman)

The logs I have on hand really do any direction on long stright one's. Have a a 44 inch oak stump I still need to get its twisted harder than anything I have seen.

Post a pic,sounds like its got some nice curl to it. :coolsmile:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Its still in the ground the truck I am burning now it was curly above the stump. Guy out of Illinois offer 175.00 for it but never show up..lol

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Its still in the ground the truck I am burning now it was curly above the stump. Guy out of Illinois offer 175.00 for it but never show up..lol

Then he's a damn fool lol

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Then he's a damn fool lol
After watching ebay and etsy artfire I think my stock will compete very well. Just got strap on the 880 for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.