Woodcutting in the El Dorado National Forest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
Hi. Any one have experience with wood cutting permits in the National Forest? I'm scrounging up next winter's heat and came across this info. I will probably take a drive up soon on an upcoming weekend to scout it out. Secret stuff, but you can always PM me. I have gas money and labor, lack equipment.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/documents/rogs/rog_fuelwood.pdf

Cutting on National land is pretty much the same as on State land. Do scout it out though and you might find you have to do some work to get burnable stuff out to the roadways because that next to the roads gets picked up quite fast in most areas. Also be very choosy on the downed stuff because if it is on the ground, it rots or turns punky really quick. If it has even started to turn to punk, I'd leave it, but, some folks get it anyway. It will burn but you won't get much heat and you have to consider if you are hauling it, you won't get much for your dollars. It doesn't take any more time to cut good wood as to cut marginal or bad wood so put your time and dollars into getting good stuff. Good luck.

I saw an episode of "Dirty Jobs" they were cutting trees and using mules to move the logs around. I'm finding that my new stove is going to take a bit of investment in tools and equipment to keep it burning.

Cutting on National land is pretty much the same as on State land.

I have to disagree. It varies by state and ranger district. Where I'm at the permit process is very different between state land and national forest. Without going into too much detail I'll just say that the local NF district is much more strict than the state's regional office. Both still provide a fair opportunity to cut wood.
For cutting in a national forest, I'd study their wood cutting rules online and then stop by the ranger station for that district.

Cutting on National land is pretty much the same as on State land. Do scout it out though and you might find you have to do some work to get burnable stuff out to the roadways because that next to the roads gets picked up quite fast in most areas. Also be very choosy on the downed stuff because if it is on the ground, it rots or turns punky really quick. If it has even started to turn to punk, I'd leave it, but, some folks get it anyway. It will burn but you won't get much heat and you have to consider if you are hauling it, you won't get much for your dollars. It doesn't take any more time to cut good wood as to cut marginal or bad wood so put your time and dollars into getting good stuff. Good luck.

Hey Backwoods, your thoughts on cutting trees that are laying down. I recently cut a cherry that was really solid except for about a half inch on the botttom few inches where it touched the ground. how will that affect the rest of the wood seasoning?

Status
Not open for further replies.