Woodland pro (Baileys) 2 cycle oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blel

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Southeast CT
Any opinions on Baileys Woodland Pro Synthetic 2 cycle oil?

The reviews on ArboristSite are positive. I just got a small bottle in my last order so will be trying it next.

wendell said:
The reviews on ArboristSite are positive. I just got a small bottle in my last order so will be trying it next.

That's good to hear as the price is about 1/2 of Stihl synthetic.

Ordered the Bailey's synthetic last year, used it in a snowblower and my chainsaw, as well as my Earth Auger. Love the stuff, burns clean, doesn't smell, and since it had the thumbs up from the guys at arborist site I am hoping my engines will live long and prosper(sorry, couldn't help it) Only wish it came in smaller containers, since I no longer have the snowblower, and rarely use the auger, it only will be used in the Husqvarna 350, which doesn't use a lot of gas, especially cutting through pine, it just zips through it. I had previously used whatever was on sale and then Valvoline two stroke oil, which was awful stuff, stunk like crazy and smoked a lot too.

You know what's even cheaper? WalMart brand TC-W3.
[/quote]
I've always wondered about the Walmart stuff. I know it's cheaper but is it any good? I would think the Baileys synthetic would be good based on their reputation and at $16-17 inc ship for a 6 pack of 6.4 jugs, it's not bad, (compared to Stihl). However if Wally is good let me know. Basically I'd just like to buy a quart or 2 of good oil and measure myself. Don't need to pay extra for the small bottles.

blel said:
I’ve always wondered about the Walmart stuff. I know it’s cheaper but is it any good? I would think the Baileys synthetic would be good based on their reputation and at $16-17 inc ship for a 6 pack of 6.4 jugs, it’s not bad, (compared to Stihl). However if Wally is good let me know. Basically I’d just like to buy a quart or 2 of good oil and measure myself. Don’t need to pay extra for the small bottles.

Any two cycle oil that is TC-W3 rated (TC-W3 is an actual rating from an actual lab which certifies that the oil actually meets a list of very strict standards) is as good and very likely better than any 2 cycle oil with a chainsaw on the bottle.

Bigg_Redd said:
blel said:
I’ve always wondered about the Walmart stuff. I know it’s cheaper but is it any good? I would think the Baileys synthetic would be good based on their reputation and at $16-17 inc ship for a 6 pack of 6.4 jugs, it’s not bad, (compared to Stihl). However if Wally is good let me know. Basically I’d just like to buy a quart or 2 of good oil and measure myself. Don’t need to pay extra for the small bottles.

Any two cycle oil that is TC-W3 rated (TC-W3 is an actual rating from an actual lab which certifies that the oil actually meets a list of very strict standards) is as good and very likely better than any 2 cycle oil with a chainsaw on the bottle.

Bigg Redd is pullin' your chain.

NEVER, EVER use TCW3 in an air cooled 2 stroke engine.

That stuff is made for liquid cooled engines.

Chainsaw engines run at far greater temps, and much higher RPMs.

Stick with a good quality oil, Yamalube 2R, Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Baileys, whatever as long as it is NOT TCW3
http://www.treeworld.info/f40/dreaded-chainsaws-oil-thread-11004.html

mobetter said:
Bigg_Redd said:
blel said:

Bigg Redd is pullin' your chain.

NEVER, EVER use TCW3 in an air cooled 2 stroke engine.

That stuff is made for liquid cooled engines.

Chainsaw engines run at far greater temps, and much higher RPMs.

Stick with a good quality oil, Yamalube 2R, Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Baileys, whatever as long as it is NOT TCW3
http://www.treeworld.info/f40/dreaded-chainsaws-oil-thread-11004.html

Actually, they don't.

Liquid cooled engines run on MUCH tighter tolerances and at higher compression than air cooled and thus makes more demands on their oil.

Does the stuff with a chainsaw on the bottle even have a JASO or API rating?

If you don't believe the labs and the scientists there's always my lifetime of using TCW3 without breaking a saw. . .

Redd,

That's like a drunk saying,

"I've been driving drunk all my life, and never been picked up"

Just because he hasn't been burnt, doesn't make it right!

Heck the old saws call for mixing 30w or 40w, so outboard oil would probably be an improvement over that.

I'm no expert, but I have read many articles on this subject and the experts say, "use a QUALITY oil designed for air cooled engines".

Every 2 cycle oil made for liquid cooled engines surpasses the standards set for air cooled engines.

This includes film strength and lubricity.

The End.

EDIT: I know Stihl doesn't have a refinery. Whaddya suppose the odds are that the stuff in the Stihl labeled bottle is just re-packaged Pennzoil TCW3? I bet it is.

Bigg_Redd said:
Every 2 cycle oil made for liquid cooled engines surpasses the standards set for air cooled engines.

The End.

EDIT: I know Stihl doesn't have a refinery. Whaddya suppose the odds are that the stuff in the Stihl labeled bottle is just re-packaged Pennzoil TCW3? I bet it is.

Did you check that link in the post above? This is coming from a guy who makes his living runnin' a chainsaw.

Use what works for you, myself, I only use a quality synthetic oil,

Used Mobil1 racing2T until they discontinued it in '07, I now use Klotz R50.

I have never had an oil related chainsaw failure either.

mobetter said:
Bigg_Redd said:

The End.

Did you check that link in the post above? This is coming from a guy who makes his living runnin' a chainsaw.

Use what works for you, myself, I only use a quality synthetic oil,

Used Mobil1 racing2T until they discontinued it in '07, I now use Klotz R50.

I have never had an oil related chainsaw failure either.

And you likely never will.

MX2T was discontinued? Bummer. It's good sh_t.

I've switched all my two cycle stuff to amzoil sabre professional at 50:1 for me in all my OPE. 60:1 and 80:1 in motorcycles. $10/qt is about 1/3 the cost of stihl and works well.
bascially any good qualtiy synthetic.

this song is vaguely familiar.....

Status
Not open for further replies.