woodshed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodz

Apr 27, 2009
southern WI
This year I have been stacking all my splits in rows but not spread apart. Most of the wood has been downed oak, fairly dry. A buddy told me to leave it stacked this way (looks like a giant wood cube) I was concerned that the outer pieces would dry but it might stay wet inside. Rows 14 feet long by 4 feet high by 12 feet deep.
I have an old corn crib next to the pile and I thought of throwing all the splits in there on top of pallets. The side walls are slatted and plenty of air circulation. To save time I wouldn't stack it. I would lose some room but I can't spend all those hours playing with wood. Any suggestions?

backwoodz said:
This year I have been stacking all my splits in rows but not spread apart. Most of the wood has been downed oak, fairly dry. A buddy told me to leave it stacked this way (looks like a giant wood cube) I was concerned that the outer pieces would dry but it might stay wet inside. Rows 14 feet long by 4 feet high by 12 feet deep.
I have an old corn crib next to the pile and I thought of throwing all the splits in there on top of pallets. The side walls are slatted and plenty of air circulation. To save time I wouldn't stack it. I would lose some room but I can't spend all those hours playing with wood. Any suggestions?

thats a good idea but i would wait til fall and then throw it in there

That corn crib sounds perfect, like a Holz Hausen without the fuss. How easy would it be to get at the wood when it's time to burn it?

The corn crib has storage on each side of a center cement walkway, could pull trailer or truck in and throw wood over top of wall 7 foot or through side gates that fold down. I will try to post some pics soon. The more I look at it the more I want to do it.

I think I will listen to the advice from a previous poster and wait til fall. Just hate to handle it all over and over. Thought I could throw it in and let time take its course.

leave it alone ... especially if its getting some sun... next year try to keep each row a ft apart if you can... but i wouldnt move that stuff to the corn crib until you expect it to get really cold or your snow season comes... for me thats about the second week of nov when i move my wood... but i do start to cover it in the fall on top like october... many times i cover when rain is forecast and uncover when its dry just for the hell of it cause i am out there everyday getting anxious to burn!!

When I was stacking outside, I would stack three rows tight together so they would be around 20 feet long, by 4 feet high, by 5 feet deep. Now I stack 9 feet high in the 10 foot by 20 foot shed solid, no spaces. I do let it sit out in the open for a few months before cramming it in.

If you're really worried, maybe you could take a couple rows out of the middle so that you have three piles with a one row space between them for air.

I misunderstood the question. I would leave the wood you've already got stacked alone. In the future when you're splitting, try the corn crib out. Having to handle wood more than you have to blows....so to speak.

The old corn crib is an ideal place to stack wood! But still stack it loosely when stacking it in the crib.

However, on the wood you have stacked already, I'd just leave it alone. I have a couple of stacks that way right now, although it has been stacked for a minimum of 3 years so we don't worry. I still prefer to stack in rows of 2 or 3 for good air circulation. Again though, if one cuts and has minimum time for seasoning, then he has to split small and stack in single rows. I just hate to stack in single rows but also have the privilege of having several years to season our wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.