Woodstove Insert/Redoing stove pipe in to flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My issues is with my stove pipe exitting the back of insert up into the flue. When I did my first cleaning of the chimney flue- -this is a new houxse for me-- I pulled out the insert to access the fireplace. When i pulled out the insert my stove piping bascially came apart, rust,wear , age seemed to be the case with the brittle old stove pipe.
This is my concern. Old stove pipe was in 3 pieces, forming into a L shape Approx, 15" on center of elbow out from insert, then 25" on center of elbow up into flue. Old pipe then had what i assume is fiber glass insulation surrending the stove pipe ,stuffed all around pipe to create a barrier? for smoke? from back drafting and elements or other unwanted critters ?from entering. Just my guesses. Flue seems fine after cleaning. Flue is 11x11 inchs sq. I cleaned with a new 12x12"sq. brush.
Question ,finnaly , is... should I re-fit the insert same way? With fiber glass insulation? Is there a type of fire proof insulation I should be using rather then the old ,i can use or new I could add?
Chimney and insert have had obvious use so this older style certanly worked till now. House was built in 1972.

Thanks for whatever input you have,

Wayne

Some people use what is called a block-off plate, which seals the area around the pipeas it goes into the chimney. I used fiberglass insulation, minus the paper backing of course. I pulled mine out this week to do some maintenance, and the fiberglass was fine.

Thanks for fast reply, sorry if i never got to the piont which was weather the fiber glass was safe to reuse or
to replace with same type of glass. Sounds like its a non issues and i will use some fiber glass insulation i have on hand at the house. As you say, minus the paper backing.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.