Work 4 Sunday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
It looks like I'll grab some topped off or damaged Cherry tomorrow, it should keep me busy all day, I'll make it last.

zap

Attachments

• 100_6197.JPG
    100_6197.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_6199.JPG
    100_6199.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_6203.JPG
    100_6203.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 182
It looks like I'll grab some topped off or damaged Cherry tomorrow, it should keep me busy all day, I'll make it last.

zap

You need to keep busy.
Never too much fire wood. :)

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
You need to keep busy.
Never too much fire wood. :)
I gotta keep it safe for the anUmals, the last time I was back in that area you could see they had been bedding down in the ferns that had just started to die. It's a nice area to work, the brook is about two hundred yards away.
I'm looking for another 2-3 cord of cherry or soft maple.

zap

Zap...you got a lot of cherry in your area. Is that what you primarily burn all season?

Zap...you got a lot of cherry in your area. Is that what you primarily burn all season?
Yes, if Mother Nature puts it down or tops it off I grab it. This is the first year we have more Beech & Sugar Maple than Cherry (nice problem). Since we started burning we usually burn 3 cord of Cherry per year.

It might be less this year, we had 2 cord of White Pine ready for the shoulder season which we still are burning. Our lot holds plenty of Cherry.

zap

Looks like some fun, Zap. I wish I could go out and cut, but this living room project is pretty much my personal prison til I get it at least useable.....:(

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Looks like some fun, Zap. I wish I could go out and cut, but this living room project is pretty much my personal prison til I get it at least useable.....:(
I was thinking about that tonight, did you post any pics lately?

zap

I was thinking about that tonight, did you post any pics lately?

zap
No pics till the middle of next week. The drywall will all be hung by Wednesday and mudded by next weekend, I'll be sanding my ass off for two or three days. I'm off the whole week for Thanksgiving, I'll be stoning the fireplace by then. So, the Thanksgiving deadline may NOT happen, but we will definately be decorating it for Christmas.......hoping to decorate the first week of December. I'll keep ya updated.

No pics till the middle of next week. The drywall will all be hung by Wednesday and mudded by next weekend, I'll be sanding my ass off for two or three days. I'm off the whole week for Thanksgiving, I'll be stoning the fireplace by then. So, the Thanksgiving deadline may NOT happen, but we will definately be decorating it for Christmas.......hoping to decorate the first week of December. I'll keep ya updated.
Looking forward to the pics, the mudding if done correct will save you alot of sanding, I remember sanding when I first started. :eek:
zap

Reactions: ScotO
Looking forward to the pics, the mudding if done correct will save you alot of sanding, I remember sanding when I first started. :eek:
zap
I have a buddy at work who mudded professionally before coming to work for the railroad, he's amazing at doing it. Very little sanding required when he does the mudwork. When I do it, I usually end up sanding off almost as much as I put up to begin with. Not my forte......

Zap, burning cherry is nice. It gives a sweet odor when seasoned cherry burns. Wish I had more in my stacks but I burned most of it last year. Scotty, I feel your pain. My wife and I tore our living and dining rooms apart last year this time. Got things put back together in time for our holiday party in mid December. Good luck.

Scotty, I feel your pain. My wife and I tore our living and dining rooms apart last year this time. Got things put back together in time for our holiday party in mid December. Good luck.
That's not bad, mine's been in shreds for THREE YEARS! We built a monster addition, and when we started that project 6 years ago, I partitioned off the living room/old master bedroom for storage. After the addition was done, and the rest of the original downstairs totally remodeled, I went out and gutted that living room. Went ALL OUT, I mean BALLS TO THE WALL and did a double cathedral ceiling, fireplace, etc. Anyway, I don't want to hijack Zaps thread. I'll post a new thread in the Perfect Picture forum soon. We'll be done (at least have it liveable) in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

If not, I'll have a nice hard maple rolling pin sticking out of my right ear......:eek:

I have a buddy at work who mudded professionally before coming to work for the railroad, he's amazing at doing it. Very little sanding required when he does the mudwork. When I do it, I usually end up sanding off almost as much as I put up to begin with. Not my forte......
The room will look great once it's finished. Any tree jobs coming up for you?

zap

That's not bad, mine's been in shreds for THREE YEARS! We built a monster addition, and when we started that project 6 years ago, I partitioned off the living room/old master bedroom for storage. After the addition was done, and the rest of the original downstairs totally remodeled, I went out and gutted that living room. Went ALL OUT, I mean BALLS TO THE WALL and did a double cathedral ceiling, fireplace, etc. Anyway, I don't want to hijack Zaps thread. I'll post a new thread in the Perfect Picture forum soon. We'll be done (at least have it liveable) in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

If not, I'll have a nice hard maple rolling pin sticking out of my right ear......:eek:
Don't worry about hijacking the thread.
zap

The room will look great once it's finished. Any tree jobs coming up for you?

zap
we have around a dozen big jobs for the winter months already lined up, with several more prospects. We did a couple storm related removals a few weeks ago, all that money went to my lovely wife to help buy the kiddos some Christmas presents, that will help us out in the financial department. Didn't bring any of the wood home, and there was a PILE of it. Ash and white pine, lots of big rounds too. That big ash all went to my buddy Doc, he's my partner in the tree cutting venture.

Zap, burning cherry is nice. It gives a sweet odor when seasoned cherry burns. Wish I had more in my stacks but I burned most of it last year. Scotty, I feel your pain. My wife and I tore our living and dining rooms apart last year this time. Got things put back together in time for our holiday party in mid December. Good luck.
Yes, the sweet smell is nice. How did you make it through the two storms?
zap

we have around a dozen big jobs for the winter months already lined up, with several more prospects. We did a couple storm related removals a few weeks ago, all that money went to my lovely wife to help buy the kiddos some Christmas presents, that will help us out in the financial department. Didn't bring any of the wood home, and there was a PILE of it. Ash and white pine, lots of big rounds too. That big ash all went to my buddy Doc, he's my partner in the tree cutting venture.
Christmas when you're a kid, nothing better. Tomorrow I'll have more pics of my next job (cherry/uprooted) in the bowl, just some questions on cutting.

zap

Reactions: ScotO

I hate it too Scotty.Along with plumbing & electrical.Dont mind the installation of the sheetrock itself though.Now anything from rough framing,concrete forms to furniture/cabinets,finish carpentry,antique restoration & some veneering is more up my alley.Even finishing concrete,plaster & stucco + patching isnt so bad,tended plasterers & masons on a few jobs in the past so they taught me the nitty gritty.

The damaged Cherry is down, the other two are still up (pit wood), after felling the Cherry I bucked it up then ran back to the house for the splitter.

Hauled out two loads back to the house with another two loads still in the woods.

zap

Attachments

• 100_6328.JPG
    100_6328.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_6329.JPG
    100_6329.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_6330.JPG
    100_6330.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_6334.JPG
    100_6334.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_6337.JPG
    100_6337.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_6352.JPG
    100_6352.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_6353.JPG
    100_6353.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 171
Nice work Zap. It looks like the hemlock are going to take over in there.

Reactions: zap
We call it Hemlock Haven, some nice ones in that area.
zap

They are really nice to have...in the right places.. Some states you cannot even buy them any more because they are so invasive. I think New Hampshire is one. After we took down all the pines, I bought 100 of them from Musser Forest and planted them around the perimeter of the land.

They are really nice to have...in the right places.. Some states you cannot even buy them any more because they are so invasive. I think New Hampshire is one. After we took down all the pines, I bought 100 of them from Musser Forest and planted them around the perimeter of the land.
I milled some two summers ago, very nice grain. In the area I was working you coukd see the old stumps from when the previous owner or his father had it logged off.

How are the Hemlocks doing that you planted?
zap

I planted 1 year bare root seedlings. I've lost about 12, but the rest are doing good. This the second year. The hemlocks in the sun are growing fast. I also planted some Douglas Fir, Spruce and cedar. Only a few of the cedar are surving. Think I mgoing to try some black wanut next.

Status
Not open for further replies.