Work Done Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We ended up dropping some tall thin pines plus what looked like a dead sugar maple today, bucked them up to 14.75 then split. I had brought the truck full of cherry rounds back to the splitter before, split all the cherry & pine then stacked some then called it a day, attached are some pictures.

I ended up putting the pine on the bottom row, split one round of the dead sugar maple then put the moisture meter to it.

zap

Very nice firewood especially the barkless dead stuff! You can burn that stuff next year..

Ray

Awesome pics looks like your getting the weather...

smokinjay said:
Awesome pics looks like your getting the weather...

Looks like this week we will have some nice weather to start the week, back to average temps for this time of year by the middle of the week.

Just talked with the man who sold us the woods, Saturday or Sunday I'm takng him up top, last time he was up top was over 40 years ago.

zap

Zap, I'll bet he will like that ride to the top! Let him enjoy the trip on that Rhino.

I'll be taking down a few white pines very soon. Want to get those with mold out so it doesn't spread.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I'll bet he will like that ride to the top! Let him enjoy the trip on that Rhino.

I'll be taking down a few white pines very soon. Want to get those with mold out so it doesn't spread.

Next spring we will be doing some raking up of pine needles in certain areas in hope that we can get some regrowth of some White Pines.

zap

Nice work ZAP. Looks like a nice day for it. Again, jealous. Have to work. No play. All work and no play make gasifier ...something...something...

raybonz said:
Very nice firewood especially the barkless dead stuff! You can burn that stuff next year..

Ray

I brought a split of the barkless stuff in the basement this morning, any guesses on the moisture content for Friday night at 7:20.

Edit: checked both sides tonight, 19 percent & 24 percent when checking each sides.

It sits about three feet to the side of the Liberty, just started burning again tonight so that should help dry it out some. I think the split in the picture from Sunday measured 29 percent.

zap

finally cuttin up some of that pine for burning. im actutally trying to get some pine for this year maybe a couple cords.

ecocavalier02 said:
finally cuttin up some of that pine for burning. im actutally trying to get some pine for this year maybe a couple cords.

Eco, wish you lived closer we have plenty of pine. Do you ever get people wanting to buy pine for firewood?

zap

zapny said:
ecocavalier02 said:

Eco, wish you lived closer we have plenty of pine. Do you ever get people wanting to buy pine for firewood? No one ever asked. I stopped selling the firewood. if ya didnt know. It got to be to much of a mess around here. and the work wasnt worth the money. but ifi have a lot i may just sell a few cord a year for the heck of it.

zap

ecocavalier02 said:
zapny said:
ecocavalier02 said:

Eco, wish you lived closer we have plenty of pine. Do you ever get people wanting to buy pine for firewood? No one ever asked. I stopped selling the firewood. if ya didnt know. It got to be to much of a mess around here. and the work wasnt worth the money. but ifi have a lot i may just sell a few cord a year for the heck of it.

zap

I forgot all about that, sorry. I agree with you that the amount of work you do and what you can sell it for it's not worth the money.

zap

zapny said:
ecocavalier02 said:
zapny said:
ecocavalier02 said:

zap

I forgot all about that, sorry. I agree with you that the amount of work you do and what you can sell it for it's not worth the money.

zap
If had more equipment and maybe a tree service where u make money cutting it and selling it. but with my full time job and its way to much effort for the money.

I brought a split of the barkless stuff in the basement this morning, any guesses on the moisture content for Friday night at 7:20.

I guess 24%.

Gasifier said:

I guess 24%.

Gasifier; I edited my post so take a look at it then you can change your guess. After looking at the split in the picture from Sunday, the one I brought in this morning is a different split.

zap

Man I wish I had the property you and Dennis have. I would wake up every morning feeling like I just won the lottery.

zapny said:
Gasifier said:
I guess 24%.
Gasifier; I edited my post so take a look at it then you can change your guess. After looking at the split in the picture from Sunday, the one I brought in this morning is a different split.
zap

I think you lost me. And that is not hard to do. :lol: Are we guessing at the m.c. of the split as it is drying out next to the stove? I am not sure how long it has been there. Like I said, I think you lost me. Okay, so I guess it is at 20% then. :)

Gasifier said:
zapny said:
Gasifier said:
I guess 24%.
zap

I think you lost me. And that is not hard to do. :lol: Are we guessing at the m.c. of the split as it is drying out next to the stove? I am not sure how long it has been there. Like I said, I think you lost me. Okay, so I guess it is at 20% then. :)

From my original post I had a split measuring 29 percent, the split I brought in is a different split,just wanted to make sure this is on the up & up.

zap

:) Oooookay, so it was 19 & 24 %. And it is drying next to the stove which has been running. And it has been drying next to the stove for how long?
I got ya now. (I really don't have a f*$#ing clue :lol: ) I guess 17%. (Oh, did you want a guess on both sides? :lol: 17% on the stove side, 20% on the side away from the stove.) If I got both of those right you owe me a 12 pack of good beer. :cheese:

Gasifier said:
:) Oooookay, so it was 19 & 24 %. And it is drying next to the stove which has been running. And it has been drying next to the stove for how long?
I got ya now. (I really don't have a f*$#ing clue :lol: ) I guess 17%. (Oh, did you want a guess on both sides? :lol: 17% on the stove side, 20% on the side away from the stove.) If I got both of those right you owe me a 12 pack of good beer. :cheese:

Just a small fire this morning, not one since. Have you had your woodgun (hope I got that correct) burning yet?

zap

nice pics,....it looks as if you used a "freaking laser" on thise stacks!......that maple almost looks on the verge of being punky or is it me?... I bet it will dry out wicked fast....

crackshot said:
nice pics,....it looks as if you used a "freaking laser" on thise stacks!......that maple almost looks on the verge of being punky or is it me?... I bet it will dry out wicked fast....

It still has good weight, but I'm glad I dropped it this year. I think it will be burnable this winter, thats why I brought the split in. If the moisture content comes down enough by Friday then I'll split the rest then bring it inside.

I mark all my wood before I cut it so the length is the same, thats what this site does to you. :eek:hh: :grrr: :gulp:

zap

Just a small fire this morning, not one since. Have you had your woodgun (hope I got that correct) burning yet?

Alright. 18 & 21. :cheese: My Wood Gun has been running once or twice a day since October 1. A lot of that time I am just charging (heating) a large thermal storage tank. It just stores the energy of the wood when you burn it as hot water. Then the boiler is shut off. Then charged the next day. If there is heat demand, which we have not had a lot of since October 1, then you run the boiler accordingly. It is in my basement, and heats my house, my attached garage, and my domestic hot water (DHW) for everything you use hot water for. All with wood. Pretty sweet. My first year with it, so I am going through a learning curve right now. But lovin it. I have used no oil since I brought it on line October 1. And that is the goal. To use as little oil as possible. The oil will kick on if we go away or wood boiler and tank were to go cold for any reason.

Gasifier said:

Alright. 18 & 21. :cheese: My Wood Gun has been running once or twice a day since October 1. A lot of that time I am just charging (heating) a large thermal storage tank. It just stores the energy of the wood when you burn it as hot water. Then the boiler is shut off. Then charged the next day. If there is heat demand, which we have not had a lot of since October 1, then you run the boiler accordingly. It is in my basement, and heats my house, my attached garage, and my domestic hot water (DHW) for everything you use hot water for. All with wood. Pretty sweet. My first year with it, so I am going through a learning curve right now. But lovin it. I have used no oil since I brought it on line October 1. And that is the goal. To use as little oil as possible. The oil will kick on if we go away or wood boiler and tank were to go cold for any reason.

Sounds great, I saw your setup it looks great.

zap

Nice work Zap, how much land do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.