Workbench Done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Finally ripped the 3/4 inch plywood for the top and the bottom shelve, once we moved it to the spot in the pictures I had to shim the front left about 1/8.

The area which I built it on it was fine.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1465.jpg
    100_1465.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_1466.jpg
    100_1466.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_1471.jpg
    100_1471.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 293
that looks great. always nice to have a bench to work at. pete

heatwise said:
that looks great. always nice to have a bench to work at. pete

Thanks heatwise, I just have to decide if I'm going with pegboard or small shelves on the wall plus a small bench vise on the workbench.

zap

Zap, that looks great. Room on both sides of the bench will come in handy. I think I see an electrical outlet under the bench, left side. Notch the back of the table for the cable for a surge protected, power strip (4-6 plug-ins). 1 shelf about 6-8" above bench top- full length of bench. Multi-tiered shelving on both sides of bench, you determine the height. Peg-board in the middle 2/3rds. GOOD vise in the corner of your choosing, don't waste money on the H.F. stuff, spend more than you figured on the vise and don't look back. I have nothing else, just that what you built looks really nice so far.- (power-strip, maybey find a square, 4 outlet one, keep the shelf height reasonable). In my head, that all looks great.

Beetle-Kill said:
Zap, that looks great. Room on both sides of the bench will come in handy. I think I see an electrical outlet under the bench, left side. Notch the back of the table for the cable for a surge protected, power strip (4-6 plug-ins). 1 shelf about 6-8" above bench top- full length of bench. Multi-tiered shelving on both sides of bench, you determine the height. Peg-board in the middle 2/3rds. GOOD vise in the corner of your choosing, don't waste money on the H.F. stuff, spend more than you figured on the vise and don't look back. I have nothing else, just that what you built looks really nice so far.- (power-strip, maybey find a square, 4 outlet one, keep the shelf height reasonable). In my head, that all looks great.

Thanks Beetle-Kill, on the vise I priced out a ridgid 4.5 swivel bench vise at $238.00 plus tax with a lifetime warranty. Thanks for the info for the shelves and pegboard.

zap

4.5 vise sounds ideal. Lifetime warranty even better. Make sure you register it w/ Rigid. Can't wait to see the end result.

Beetle's right--but make sure you mount the heavy-duty power strip on the front of the bench so there's no need to bend over your workspace and you can access the plugs from the floor without ducking in. Also, you may wish to check out Craigslist for vices. Last week, there were two pristine Wiltons--I'd take a 20-year old W over anything new. Hell, I was psyched to receive one handed down from my dad. I sometimes think about refinishing it, but I like the classic 50's look.

The only thing I don't see is where you left a lip to attach clamps.

S

I have a 6" Craftsman vice, cost about $50, been working just fine for the last 7-8 years and I abuse it almost everyday.

[quote author="thinkxingu" date="1285249007"]Beetle's right--but make sure you mount the heavy-duty power strip on the front of the bench so there's no need to bend over your workspace and you can access the plugs from the floor without ducking in. Also, you may wish to check out Craigslist for vices. Last week, there were two pristine Wiltons--I'd take a 20-year old W over anything new. Hell, I was psyched to receive one handed down from my dad. I sometimes think about refinishing it, but I like the classic 50's look.

The only thing I don't see is where you left a lip to attach clamps. Built it without any lip.

zap

+ with the vice, bigger is better imo and that will complete your nice bench.

savageactor7 said:
+ with the vice, bigger is better imo and that will complete your nice bench.

If I go with the Ridgid it will be the 4.5 with the swivel but I'm not sure yet on the vise.

zap

I put thin hardboard ( the stuff used on floors before you put down linoleum) because it doesn't absorb oil quite as fast and soft ply tears up rather easy.
Figured it would be easier to replace every 5 years or so.
Still have the original stuff on there 35 years later.

Beetle-Kill said:

Beetle-Kill our anyone, I'm stopping tonight and look at a old Wards Master Quality Bench Vise that swivels (not sure on the size yet) were these a good bench vise.

Thanks
Zap

dont forget the wheels
rn

Status
Not open for further replies.