Workin the wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
Finally cooled off enough to get out the saws and finish cleaning up the mess from the wind storm two months ago. Its not often I get a tree big enough to break out the 2175 w/ 32" bar. But its fun when I do.

Had to put more air in the front tires to pick up this popple. But it sure makes it easier to block it up when its up off the ground no pinching the bar and the chain lasts longer.

310615_2034847325768_1681757389_1435418_1628606738_n.jpg

This is a very hazardous tree to try to cut down. 15 years ago I would have gave it a whack. But the adverse correlation of forces involved here I could have very easily became a bloody smear on the ground. So I hooked it to the tractor and yanked on it for 15 minutes or so until I got the top broke off and on the ground.

301959_2035794189439_1681757389_1436003_1222478199_n.jpg

Tree was still 2' dia where it broke.

383981_2035808309792_1681757389_1436006_281737543_n.jpg

A 24" dia white pine I cut down to make 18' 1 1/4"x8" boards for side racks for my trailer.

390392_2035838750553_1681757389_1436009_78764602_n.jpg

I cut the stump high enough to make a low chair out of. So when I am out for a walk in the woods I can stop sit and listen to the wind in the trees. I found when cutting it you need to make the back rest curve a little for comfort and slab off as much bark as you can so it doesn't rot. I'll stain it and coat it with polyurethane next year.

390392_2035838830555_1681757389_1436010_491828886_n.jpg

Great pics. I love the seat. I often tell my grandsons when we are workin the wood......."Let's sit a spell" They ask why Papa? I tell them because you just need to stop and "smell the roses" sometimes.

[quote author="Cowboy Billy" date="1322447175"]Finally cooled off enough to get out the saws and finish cleaning up the mess from the wind storm two months ago. Its not often I get a tree big enough to break out the 2175 w/ 32" bar. But its fun when I do.

Great pictures Billy, looks like you have plenty of work to keep you busy.

zap

Thanks Chief

I love walking in the woods. And being able to sit down, look and listen to what is around you just seems to get me in better touch with nature.

Thanks Jon

Seems there is always a lot for me to do!

Thanks Zap

Unfortunately most of it is willow. But I hate to waste wood and may as well burn it in the stove rather than in a pile.

Billy

LOL so... I'm slowly scrolling down, looking at the pics, envious of that 'bota and I come across that barber chair. I analyze the tree, the stump, where it fell and cannot for the life of me ascertain how it could possibly have barber chaired like that. Then I start to think... it looks deliberate... and then I scroll down to the next pic.

You got me! I should have read the captions, not just looked at the pics.

Great pictures. That's a big log.
Hydraulics are sweet, I bet it is lots easier. (PS: you're spoiled) :)
Still I bet it was a good day or 2 of work.
Now you have some splitting to do.
Looks like the chair might make a good deer & turkey chair too.
Looks like you'll never run out of wood. Down trees all around your chair.
Great place to sit & relax :)

Are those downstate pics, Billy? Cause I'm trying to figure out where around Britton that would be.

Just noticed the 2nd picture has 2 orange tractors in it, other one has a back hoe attached :)
Now that's a good neighborhood.

bogydave said:
Just noticed the 2nd picture has 2 orange tractors in it...
Double envy. :sick:

Fess up Billy. Those pictures were taken in two different areas. Good that you have the right equipment.

Cool LL

Around here ya never know what is going to happen next,

Howdy Dave

Yes I am spoiled!!! And I like it. But then again all my money goes for tools and equ. I've only bought one new car in my life and rarely go out. My only real regret in life is that I don't have any kids. But my Niece and Nephew only live 20 miles from me and I spend a lot of time with them. I try to get them to think things through for them selves. Teach them how to run equ and do other things. To navigate in the woods and truly understand the woods and animals.

Right now I have six tractors at home and two at the farm. Both kubotas and a farmall 100 need to go to the farm. But I am still working on the little backhoe and the farmall.

Hi Jeff

I am closer to Macon but its a Britton address.

Ya got it Dennis

The first three pictures are from my house and the last two are at the farm.

Billy

Nice pictures there, I like the seat idea :)

LLigetfa said:
LOL so... I'm slowly scrolling down, looking at the pics, envious of that 'bota and I come across that barber chair. I analyze the tree, the stump, where it fell and cannot for the life of me ascertain how it could possibly have barber chaired like that.

I had the exact same response :lol: till I got the rest of the story.

Good work Billy. That little 'bota had to be grunting a bit on that lift. What is the weight capacity of that, anyhow?

Well...in all fairness, I guess I shouldn't be calling it a "little" 'bota.

What has two thumbs and tractor envy? THIS GUY!

Status
Not open for further replies.