Would this be considered "non conbustible"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naehring2000

Feb 12, 2012
North Shore, MA
Hey everyone, so long story short I am installing a wood stove in a prefabbed sunroom. There used to be a gas stove there before so I have an existing hole in the roof I am trying to match up to, unfortunately After doing some measurements, my support box and trim will come up just short (by 2 inches) of covering the old hole. Now I know it is ultimately up to the inspector but would you consider an all aluminum sunroom with styrofoam insulation non combustible? The insulation I believe would be combustible.

Also to anyone that owns an Englander... I don't understand the logic behind the clearances, the clearances listed from collar to wall and from back of stove to wall INCREASE with the use of double wall pipe. How is that possible?

As far as your clearance issue with your 30 let me state i do not own one but i remember in another thread some time ago was that the reason the clearances increase with double wall is that it will improve draft thus allowing a hotter stove so care must be taken in respect to that. I cant gaurantee that word for word but it goes something like that, good luck

The foam is defiantly considered combustible and if you are too close to the aluminum, it will transfer the heat to the foam, don't risk it! As for the hole, you could ask the hearth store that you got the pipe from for some larger trim to use, then you use the trim supplied to fill in the gap between their trim and yours.

webby3650 said:
The foam is defiantly considered combustible and if you are too close to the aluminum, it will transfer the heat to the foam, don't risk it! As for the hole, you could ask the hearth store that you got the pipe from for some larger trim to use, then you use the trim supplied to fill in the gap between their trim and yours.

Thanks for the response Webby, I actually bought al my pipe online because my local store is a big time price gouger, my question is, do you know if I could make my own wood trim for the support box? I don't see the issue because beyond the box would be a combustible surface anyways

naehring2000, I would like to see a picture of the space along with some tape on the floor to simulate the stove to help give perspective.

WoodNStuff said:
naehring2000, I would like to see a picture of the space along with some tape on the floor to simulate the stove to help give perspective.

I'll post a picture up tomorrow WoodNStuff, I have the stove pipe and box mocked up already, i'll snap a photo of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.