Would you buy a used Garn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/grd/1544187720.html

Garn Wood Stove WHS 1500 - $3700 (Near Hinckley)
Date: 2010-01-08, 11:31PM CST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Garn WHS 1500 completely rebuilt, no leaks, has been in use for three seasons since rebuild. Large, high output Grundfoss UPS 40-80/2 circulating pump included. Stove is currently in it's own building. For more information contact Micheal @ 612-221-2484. Also, check out "Dectra Corp" on the web.
http://www.thiswarmhouse.com/pages/index.php?pID=6&gclid=CLqC7624050CFRQhnAod23uUsQ

Indeed. If it weren't for the 1085 miles one way, this thread wouldn't be started until it was safely home.

I just e-mailed for more info. This is only about 35 miles from me.
Doug

Let me know what you hear back. I am curious about the rebuild story.

I am very interested especially if it is that close. I might end up sleeping out with it if I bring home another boiler. I sold the GW as the best/last wood furnace we would need. But a Garn, might be worth it.
Doug

Maybe even worth 2200 miles on the truck and trailer and 2 or 3 days of my life.

Get it's actual age (serial #) and contact Dectra about the unit. They may have some history on it's use and/or repair. Get repair records and description of hte repair from the seller. Go and see it in operation, full of water, before agreeing to purchase. If it is repaired properly, I see no reason not to take advantage of a nearly 70% reduction in price. :coolsmirk:

I have an appointment to see it tomorrow.
Doug

I did get to see it today. I think it is between 10 and 15 yrs old. It started at a boys camp close to the MN, WI border. It was 1 of 5 that were used to heat the all the camp buildings. All 5 were purchased by the current owners and 4 were sold. I was told that the repairs were to the legs and the bottom not the tank. The properity it is on has been sold and the current owners are moving. The boiler was in a separate building but was moved out. I was told that it had been in use recently and that it was drained. I did see and feel ice in the pipe coming off the bottom. IMO, the unit is in pretty rough shape . Lots of surface rust on the tank and alot of creosote build-up on the fire chamber and door. I don't think it has seen much dry wood lately. Considering the work involved to move it and its condition, I decided to pass on it. If anyone has ? pm me and I will be happy to help.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.