Would you buy another tractor supply splitter? How about Southern States?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2009
USA
I'm looking for a splitter and I like the $999 sale at TSC on their 22 ton. Southern States has an $1149 Speeco too. What to do? Why?

NoPaint said:
I'm looking for a splitter and I like the $999 sale at TSC on their 22 ton. Southern States has an $1149 Speeco too. What to do? Why?

I love mine. I would buy the Huskee and pocket the extra cash.

I bought the 22 ton Speeco here, $1400.
No Tractor supply stores here. Shipping over $400 to Alaska.
Very happy with it so far. Spit everything I've put on it. Cradle beam & wedge design are real nice features. I liked the end mounted cylinder vs the MTDs.
I hear they have a new tongue jack now, the old one is a finger pincher.
Lots here have & like them.

bogydave said:
I hear they have a new tongue jack now, the old one is a finger pincher.

Pincher would be an understatement....Amputator is more accurate. I replaced the "fold under" jack on my Huskee 28 ton with a swing away crank version and it works very well. I would buy a Huskee again in a heartbeat.

Don't have a Huskee but an MTD and it appears they are basically the same machine. We got ours from Quality Farm and Fleet before TSC bought them out so ours is MTD 20 ton with 5 hp B&S engine. Been trouble free for over 20 years now and split over 200 cord.

I bought the husky from TSC. It's been a great splitter and between me and the daughters church youth group its done a ton of wood. No problems whatsoever. I did weld up a table for it this fall, should've done that a long time ago.

I doubt the patronage check from SS would equal the extra $150, actually I know it wouldn't. That said, ask the co-op manager if he'll match TSC's price. Then you'd get the best of both worlds.

NoPaint said:

Speeco and Huskee (TSC) are the same company. Go for the TSC price.

wishlist said:
I did weld up a table for it this fall, should've done that a long time ago.

Got any pic's of that? I've been thinking about making one too...

Even though SpeeCo and Huskee are the same company, look at the specifications. There are many offerings under the SpeeCo name, and you may actually get something more form the SpeeCo model. Something like faster cycle time or steel fenders, among other things.

lukem said:
wishlist said:

I'll take some this evening Luke. Very easy to do , used steel that was gonna be recycled. Cost was $0. Of course as I tell my wife , my time is priceless! ;)

love my 22 ton from tsc. got it 4 years ago and have split approx 15 cords each year since. had local machine shop rig up a log catcher(table) for it this year. should have been the first thing i did to it. well worth the dollars in my opinion.

I've been very happy with the 22t Huskee until this year. It's been in the shop twice already and is dead again and I'm giving up on it. I looked at the new ones at TSC and the frame and beam don't seem to be nearly as strong as what I have. One fellow saw me looking at them and mentioned that his had the ram pop out of the channel several times.

Still in all, they are probably cost effective and reasonable but I decided to go with a pto driven Timberwolf. It will be here next Tuesday.

Ken

lukem said:
wishlist said:

Here you go Luke. I welded the top, panel off of an old electrical switchgear, to 1/4 thick brackets that I found. Welded bolts on brackets, drilled 2 holes in splitter then tightened. I didn't paint it yet , figured if I want to make any mods to it then paint. :)

Attachments

• IMAG0570.jpg
    IMAG0570.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 986
  • IMAG0571.jpg
    IMAG0571.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 915
Love my 28 ton Husky. I has not met a piece of wood it couldn't cut. I would not want fenders on the splitter, if your comparing differences with the Speeco. For me it seems a better option to have a log bounce off a tire rather than dent a fender.

Trktrd said:
I'm on year 2 with the speeco, no complaints.

Gosh, I bought mine used for $450 and it must be about 25 years old. The guy who owned it before me bought it from a fire wood dealer. I'm the third owner so far. I am very happy with my "used" speeco as are the rest of my neighbors who all use it (4 of them) when ever they want and put who knows what through it. They've all kicked in $100 - $200 each for permanent access.

It must have had at least 200 cords through it and all I've done is fix minor things (to me) over the years (pinned a crack in the cylinder, replaced the handle housing, changed motor and hydraulic oils).

I can vouch for the speeco.

love my huskee!

anybody know where the speeco/huskee is made?

HeatsTwice said:
Trktrd said:
I'm on year 2 with the speeco, no complaints.

Gosh, I bought mine used for $450 and it must be about 25 years old. The guy who owned it before me bought it from a fire wood dealer. I'm the third owner so far. I am very happy with my "used" speeco as are the rest of my neighbors who all use it (4 of them) when ever they want and put who knows what through it. They've all kicked in $100 - $200 each for permanent access.

It must have had at least 200 cords through it and all I've done is fix minor things (to me) over the years (pinned a crack in the cylinder, replaced the handle housing, changed motor and hydraulic oils).

I can vouch for the speeco.
I bought mine for $300 new. Somebody had robbed the control valve and motor to pump coupler off it and they just wanted it gone. I lucked out by being at the store just as they were putting the "$300 as is" sign on it.

Well I got the 22ton Huskee and I am all smiles. It came assembled well and full of both hydraulic and engine oil. The sale for $999 was over but I asked if they would give it to me and they did!

Now something you have to know about me is that I love splitting at idle nice and quiet. I was worried this thing couldn't split at idle and its not like I started it at the store so I had no idea. Imagine my surprise when I fired it up and watched it pop locust at idle. I was planning on diesel swapping this thing because I thought it would have to be at full throttle and I hate running gas engines at full throttle next to me. Nope the ole Briggs 190cc is doing the job just fine.

Congrats nopaint. Enjoy! Are you splitting horizontal?

wishlist said:
Congrats nopaint. Enjoy! Are you splitting horizontal?

Yup. Nothing big so far so its all been horizontal. Once I get the big rounds that I won't want to pickup we'll go vertical.

Status
Not open for further replies.