Would you buy this trailer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrianK

Hi folks,
I've been looking through Craigslist, Pennswood.net, Traders Guide, eBay, etc for a used tandem axle trailer in my price range to haul firewood. I was hoping to find a 7000GVW 10 to 12 foot trailer with electric brakes.

The typical prices were a good bit out my range until then I stumbled on this 16ft tandem at the other corner of the state for $1000:

16FT+TRAILER.jpg

The plywood sides are two feet high. If its 16 x 6 with 2 foot high sides, that would be 192 cubic foot. This trailer looks like it was loaded almost double that (2 1/2 to 3 cords?)

Looking at where the wheel wells are to the top of the tires, that load had to have been way over the 7000GVW rating on this trailer.

How do you know if a trailer has been overloaded too often/too much, i.e., abused beyond the point its prudent to buy it? What should I look for that might make me decide to walk away?

(Or is this kind of load "normal" for folks burning wood?)

I'm supposed to pick up this trailer late tomorrow afternoon, and I'm traveling a fair distance to get it. I'll be using it with a 2007 Expedition, 9000 towing capacity, so towing capacity isn't an issue if I don't overload.

It's loose tossed wood, so it may not be overloaded. The trailer I use is similar, it's a car hauler that I use for my cars and put sides on it to haul wood. The sides are 16x2x7, loose tossed a little over the sides is about 1 1/4 cords. A dense fresh cut wood and you can overload it in a hurry.

rdust said:
It's loose tossed wood, so it may not be overloaded... loose tossed a little over the sides is about 1 1/4 cords.

That's what I needed to know, thanks.

BrianK said:
That's what I needed to know, thanks.

I want to say I've read loose tossed you need about 180-190 cubic feet for a cord which seems to be right around what I've experienced.

Here is what I use, best pictures I have handy right now.
P3270010.jpg

P3270012.jpg

With your truck and wanting to haul wood, I'd get a 10K trailer. That said, that looks like a reasonable $1000 trailer. Check the tires and brakes as you could easily put another $500 in it pretty quick.

Used equipment is all about condition. Do you know the year it was built? It seems like a good price unless it needs 4 tires and new axels.

gzecc said:
Used equipment is all about condition. Do you know the year it was built? It seems like a good price unless it needs 4 tires and new axels.

It's a 2004 trailer. Even if it was abused I would think replacing the axle bearings would be sufficient. How do you know if an axle needs replaced? Just if it's obviously bowed/ bent?

BrianK said:
gzecc said:

It's a 2004 trailer. Even if it was abused I would think replacing the axle bearings would be sufficient. How do you know if an axle needs replaced? Just if it's obviously bowed/ bent?

Look for abnormal where on the tires...and make sure it doesn't shimmy and shake or want to track funny when pulling. Take it out for a run and try to hold speeds for a 10-15 seconds in about 5 MPH intervals to check for a vibration. I borrow a trailer every once in a while that about shakes my teeth out at precisely 35MPH and 55MPH. That's about the best way to tell if the axle is junked...but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't bent...just not bent bad enough to be a big deal.

For a G, I'd be seriously looking at it with cash in hand. A 12' single axle w/ ramp is worth 7-9 hundred depending on condition.

I'd be looking seriously. A fellow who I haul with uses a rig like that. Works well.

Lots of weight in the back of that Trailer.
Look at the shackles for weird wear.

It is probably a fine trailer. See if he has matching rims.

Bocefus78 said:
For a G, I'd be seriously looking at it with cash in hand. A 12' single axle w/ ramp is worth 7-9 hundred depending on condition.

That is if you can find them. I've been on the lookout for a used 16' 7k lb trailer for a while and they are extremely hard to come by...and the ones you can find are only a couple hundred less than a new one.

I'd say that's a good buy, especially with that ramp tail gate. There is a "Trailer Man" near Houston that sells good, angle iron sided dual axle trailers for $850 but I'd go for yours for $1000 for sure. Like others have said, give it a good test drive and let us know what you decide.

How do you know if a trailer has been overloaded too often/too much, i.e., abused beyond the point its prudent to buy it? What should I look for that might make me decide to walk away?

(Or is this kind of load “normal†for folks burning wood?)

Easiest way is to look at how the wheels sit on the ground. Make sure the are a true 90* to the ground, If they are tipped in at the top it has been grossly overloaded. Those are only 3500# axles and are easy to bend. I would look for a trailer w/6000# axles it will have a 6 hole wheel instead of 5 on a 3500#.

look at how the wheels sit on the ground. Make sure the are a true 90* to the ground, If they are tipped in at the top it has been grossly overloaded. Those are only 3500# axles and are easy to bend. I would look for a trailer w/6000# axles it will have a 6 hole wheel instead of 5 on a 3500#.

Thanks everyone for all the prudent advice!

I left Johnstown at noon, stopped to sell my 5x8 enclosed utility trailer to a gentleman in Clearfield, took the cash and hit Route 80 and made it to Danville PA by 3:30. The gentleman selling the Carry-On 16x6 tandem was kind enough to come west an hour from his home in the Poconos and meet me at a notary in Danville, which cut my round trip from 10 hours to 8 hours (including the time in the two Notary offices).

The trailer is well used, but the mechanicals all appeared sound.

I bought it and just got it home at 8:00. The wheels and tires all sit straight/ true 90* to the ground, the tires are good (load-range D) and he included an extra two good tires in addition to the spare (but the spare needs replaced), the trailer tracked/trailered perfectly, and after a hundred miles when I stopped for gas the axles and hubs were cold to the touch. I had not planned on getting a 16' trailer, I had hoped to find a 10' or 12' tandem, but they were impossible to locate. I'm satisfied with this trailer. We'll see how it does with use.

And if anyone was wondering, finding this trailer was the result of an inordinate amount of time spent searching Craigslist listings for PA, Ohio, WV, MD, and NY. They're out there, you just have to keep searching and inquiring and following up on inquiries.

Attachments

• tandem 2.jpg
    tandem 2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 313
I've owned several trailers. Check welds. Usually if something has been severely overloaded one of 2 things will occur. Either the deck/trailer frame itself will be bent or a weld will crack some place. If a spring has been broken and fixed its not that big of a deal. Also check the wheels to make sure they don't have any cracks.

Overrall that looks like a decent trailer from the pic. My dad bought the exact same trailer for $900 a year ago but it needed a new deck. $125 later he has a $1500 trailer in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.