Would you clean this wood pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Would you clean this wood pellet stove?

• No - Burn pot holes are clear and still can see the fire some!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Stove was burning for a few days.

So please take the poll.

"Would you clean this wood pellet stove?"

Please cast your vote to these answers up top and make any comments
Yes - too much ash and window is a little dirty!
No - Burn pot holes are clear and still can see the fire some!

Attachments

• Cleaning (2)SC.jpg
    Cleaning (2)SC.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Cleaning (1)SC.jpg
    Cleaning (1)SC.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,394
As with any machine, the cleaner it is, the more efficient it runs. Once a week gets my vote too.

It's off and the door's open, so why not?

Vac. 'n scrap. :mad:

;)

I currently clean once a week. I am new to this and don't know a lot but I figure a clean stove is a happy stove!

I would clean it!
On my Castile I check it each time I walk by, when the ash reaches a certain level I clean it regardless of how many days it been burning.
Okies I go a week easy.
MWP probably 3 to 4 days.

P.S. Yours looks like the ash is ready to start falling back into the burn pot. If I saw that I would shut it down even on a cold night to clean it out.

If it's been 3 weeks or more I would,if not no I wouldn't worry,But thats for a MT Vernon stove.

SmokeyTheBear said:
imacman said:
My question is.....how many days is a "few?

ISTR a certain pig's stove that was really full of ash, which is likely why the above question.

This is true, although the stove I'm thinking of ISN'T my Englander......does this look familiar?

Attachments

• Dirty.jpg
    Dirty.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 665
  • dirty burnpot.jpg
    dirty burnpot.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 668
imacman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
imacman said:
My question is.....how many days is a "few?

ISTR a certain pig's stove that was really full of ash, which is likely why the above question.

This is true, although the stove I'm thinking of ISN'T my Englander......does this look familiar?

Yes Pete, that looks like your old Astoria!! Mine is only 3-4 days without cleaning. How long was it in your picture??

3-4 days.... Thats a lot of Ash, for only a few days. My Quadrafires Ash Pan is Overflowing (literally). When I pull it out (prob next weekend) the ash will be scraped and leveled off as I pull it out.

Doesnt your stove have an Ash Pan?? If so, how does it get in there? If its not open to the firebox?

DexterDay said:
3-4 days.... Thats a lot of Ash, for only a few days. My Quadrafires Ash Pan is Overflowing (literally). When I pull it out (prob next weekend) the ash will be scraped and leveled off as I pull it out.

Doesnt your stove have an Ash Pan?? If so, how does it get in there? If its not open to the firebox?

It was designed after the old Whitfields and has ash dumps. That is the only thing I do not like. They say if the ash pan is not closed all the way then it still runs ok, but I found if the ash pan is open a tad, I get a lazy fire. So I am not as happy with that. I would prefer the Enviro style with the gasket on the ash pan!!

Clean it every 3 days. Like to take a paint brush to all the interior. The glass gets dirty in twp days. My ash pan is huge and I only empty it about every month. It has it's own seal so there is no big build up of ash inside the stove.

Yes I'd clean it then put it for sale on CL.
Don't like the design of any stove where
the ash has nowhere to go and piles up like that.
Mine is open on either side of the burn pot allowing the ash
to fall down into the huge ash pan.

Don2222 said:
Yes Pete, that looks like your old Astoria!! Mine is only 3-4 days without cleaning. How long was it in your picture??
To be honest, I really don't remember, but I'm SURE it was more than 3 days. How many bags and what brand went through yours to get that much? It seems like a LOT for 3 days.

Usually by the time I get around to cleaning mine, the ash falls out when I open the door.

All you gotta do there is open the ash dump and sweep the crap in and be done with it.

I noticed the gap between the glass and airwash bracket fills up with ash on yours as well. Mine didn't start doing that until this year. Guess that's how long it takes before the airwash holes begin to plug.

Xena said:
Yes I'd clean it then put it for sale on CL.
Don't like the design of any stove where
the ash has nowhere to go and piles up like that.
Mine is open on either side of the burn pot allowing the ash
to fall down into the huge ash pan.

Well I do like the 115 lb hopper Xena so it is a trade off.Plus the 4" exhaust is easier to keep clean!

My ideal stove would have the Bay Window, Big Hopper and Big Ash Pan with open fire box down to it. Also the stove would have Auto On/Off and Auto Hi/Low.

The Pelpro I have for sale has all of that except the big hopper. The hopper is just 65 lbs but better than a 40 pounder because it takes full bags easier!!
The big hopper is an option so is the thermostat.

Pelpro Bay View 42,000 BTU FS Wood Pellet stove for sale - $1400
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/86348/

imacman said:
Don2222 said:
To be honest, I really don't remember, but I'm SURE it was more than 3 days. How many bags and what brand went through yours to get that much? It seems like a LOT for 3 days.

I burn Maine's choice but not sure the exact bags and days. I will keep track this time.

yes clean it

Status
Not open for further replies.