Would you drive 30 mins for this free wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer39

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2009
Pottstown PA
Anyone have an idea of what type of tree it is? I can't really tell from the picture. The person says i can drive right up to it if i plow a path into the yard (i have a plow). we have about 16-20 inches of snow on the ground. he says he will deal with cleaning up the branches if i put them in a pile. Would you drive 30 mins for this? or am i crazy.

TREE24INCHDIAMETER.gif

That's got a rather severe case of shed gall - I suppose you could leave that with the stump ?

Certainly looks like hardwood.

not sure what it is but with a big trailer I am In.

BucksCoBernie said:
how much wood do you think is there? I'd do it but it would depend on the tree species.

my guess 2.5-3.25 going to take a big saw for that trunk.

thats worth it... alot of the hard work is already done: Its down.

When I cut on my brothers property I drive 1 1/2 hours one way. Of course it's not all about the wood it's about helping him clear his property for a house/cottage.(or camp for our east coast crowd) :)

30 Minutes around here isn't far, I'd make that drive several times in a day if I had to.

I think that is a Black Walnut. The bark looks like walnut, and the branching - a few large branches rather than more smaller ones, also seems reminiscent of walnut. T Nice wood, splits well, seasons reasonably fast, medium BTUs, and a terriffic dark color. Keep the trunk in large sections and you may have something valuable, although I don't think most mills want to deal with trees from a backyard.

I don't think I would do it. If it was ash or hickory or Blk locust I might

I drive 35 min. one way all the time for wood and don't always know if what is there is worth picking up. Looks like a big elm to me. It's branching out on top like elm. I wish I could find that.

60 miles round trip? If your truck only got 6 mpg then you would only be out 30.00! I would do it but then again I average 3-4 hundred miles a day. :) Got A trailer? Because I think that is more than 1 trip on a truck.

Gary

PS. Watch out for the rootball wanting to go back to it's original postion when the trunk comes off!

Gary

Looks like Ash or a big Sass... either way nope... too far for me!

Bubbavh said:
Looks like Ash or a big Sass... either way nope... too far for me!

If that's ash i'd drive an hour for it.

I would drive there till its gone. 30 mins is nothing.

30 minutes drive would be a nice change for me. To put this into perspective- I have access to all the wood I want, or could ever use. But it's an hour and a half one way to get it. Plus I have to cross the Divide twice. Going is no problem, but coming back with 2500lbs. of pine on the back of the truck gives me toe cramps on the downside. BUT, I have no complaints- period.

I have a trailer and a worked 372xp with a 32 inch bar so processing it would not be a problem. I will be heading down to take care of it this week.

Guess I'm the only one, but that doesn't look like a very big tree at all. The shed way in the background gives a deceiving sense of scale to the tree. Judging by the tracks around the trunk and the amount of snow of top of it (check out how little snow there is on the shed roof), I'd say it's less than 24" at the base, maybe 16' to the first limb. The crown doesn't appear to be very substantial, either. Less than 1 cord it seems to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.