Would you install like this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peirhead

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
PEI Canada
I came across this picture in a real estate guide.....I am trying to understand the installer's (or owner's) thinking in the choice of location.....any Ideas? To me it seems to be the place where I'd have done a corner install!! I know my wife would say..." how do you put curtains on that window? "

Attachments

• PelletInstall.png
    PelletInstall.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,006
mmmmmm what picture??

John

sorry..thought I clicked preview post...its there now!!

I'm betting there's at least 3 90º's in the venting! So no I wouldn't install like that even with 4" vent. Corner install would be more appropriate IMHO!

well, the location for the stove isnt ideal, centered in front of the window....if the customer insists on this placement, you either do this (pictured), or go through the wall below the window and have a good-sized riser outside to satisfy clearances.....if I had my druthers, I'd have to stove at a 45 degree andgle in the corner, but we cant see the house layout from the pic....

I guess I would do my best to talk the customer out of this, as it isnt great looking for sure, but, heck, if the horizontal run is less than 4', and the clearance outside follows what reccommended by the manufacturer, I cant see an issue.

just think, you can hang your bath towels on the pipe to dry. (is joke, do not try that at home people...unless you're a professional with adult supervision).

Wish we had a bigger picture. It almost looks like it's PhotoShopped in there. No hearth pad? Ugly as hell. Not even centered in window. Why?

peirhead said:
I came across this picture in a real estate guide.....I am trying to understand the installer's (or owner's) thinking in the choice of location.....any Ideas? To me it seems to be the place where I'd have done a corner install!! I know my wife would say..." how do you put curtains on that window? "

mine would say " pack your crap and move out and take the *&^%$# stove with you dumba$$"

tjnamtiw said:
Wish we had a bigger picture. It almost looks like it's PhotoShopped in there. No hearth pad? Ugly as hell. Not even centered in window. Why?

I've seen some hair raising craigslist ads of stoves with flames on carpet and hardwood floors, right next to sofas, etc...yikes.

In the OP's pic, the answer is obvious...there is a valance on the window that matches the wallpaper border in the room...cough...cough.

mfglickman said:
tjnamtiw said:

I've seen some hair raising craigslist ads of stoves with flames on carpet and hardwood floors, right next to sofas, etc...yikes.

In the OP's pic, the answer is obvious...there is a valance on the window that matches the wallpaper border in the room...cough...cough.

I don't see what you are getting at. I do see the valance and border.

Like the guy in that Allstate Insurance ad says, talking about the guy jack hammering: "that is one dumb dude!".

Tom C.

It's not centered because they probably had the beer 'fridge right next to it.

I've seen some unbelievable things in peoples' homes - who knows what they were thinking.

tjnamtiw said:
mfglickman said:
tjnamtiw said:

That the valance and border are awful. :p

I don't see what you are getting at. I do see the valance and border.

Hey, that is a first class Carl installation you just can't see the plastic half full sparky bucket outside.

Don't you fine folk go around dis'n the Carls.

Who said they have tighter regulations north of the border?

Well, at least they didn't use PVC pipe for the install :bug:

A shot of the outside looking at that window might shed a tad bit of light on why they did it,
then again it might not.

When I installed our Little Whit, I spent 2 days wandering around the house inside and out trying to figure out where to place the little stove.

Too many windows, stairways and other crap in the road.

Houses need to be designed with pellet stoves in mind me thinks.

That Plastic spark bucket was a real class act for sure. !!

Snowy

I think you guys missed the point ... In the picture.. it is centered! It's centered to the room not the window
Look closely and u can see that the window isn't centered bit the stove is..Lmao a very weird install indeed and I would have opted for a corner myself
Oh well lol

Well... If it HAD an OAK (doesn't look like it). It would be pretty close to the 18" recommended for Harmans with an OAK (it is an Advance, right?). I know its not 18" and thats the Worst spot Ever for a Pellet Stove..

But.... If they went out the wall a few more inches to the left, it would meet Harmans 18" (if it had an OAK).

Why take a Pic of a stove that wont Pass Code? Realtor's should know codes better than most?? No??

Anyways.... Worst install ever! Congratulations to the person who had it installed. You Win!!! (Nothing)

Status
Not open for further replies.