Would you insulate the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
In the attic (unconditioned) above the insert (fireplace) my chimney (interior to the house) passes through towards the roof, directly above. Is there any benifit to insulating it with an insulation blanket. Currently everything works fine. I have a large roll insulation.
The only downside I can see is possible condensation. Any thoughts?
The chimney is approx 15' total. There is probably 5' in the attic.

Don't you need at least 2" of clearance around the chimney? Putting insulation around the pipe in the attic would be a fire hazard wouldn't it?

I would leave it alone.

Does the chimney have a tile flue or a liner, and if a liner, is the liner insulated?

This is a non lined masonary chimney. I was considering wrapping the exterior masonary structure (chimney) in my attic. If I get more weird responses I will pretend I never thought of it.

gzecc said:
If I get more weird responses I will pretend I never thought of it.

I would go harvest a couple of seals for their blubber and then smear it on the outside of the masonry and then pluck the down from a few hundred cormorants to apply to that.

Its your fault :lol:

I have an interior masonary chimney clay lined and ran my insert 2 years with an uninsulated liner. I also did not have a block off plate. I burn 24/7, it eventually would heat up the block, then the attic, then create ice damning on the roof. With the block off plate and liner insulation I get a lot more heat and longer burns cause I can damper the stove down more. I just had a topic on this. I would without a doubt do an insulated liner. I pulled my whole setup out to redo it if that gives you any indication. The liner is not cheap but well worth it. I ended up with a 30 foot liner and only needed like 14 feet. I think it will cost you about 250-300 for the liner insulation and it is really easy to put on. Good luck.

Do not apply insulation to the exterior of the brick chimney - you need combustion clearances there.

If you have an unlined masonary flue (no clay tiles) you need to line the flue all the way to the top, and if you don't have the code required 1 or 2 inch airspace clearance to combustibles around the outside of the brick chimney that the liner is in, (everywher, including behind walls etc) you will need to install an insulated liner to meet code requirements. Airspace needed depends on where the chimney is in the house - always check code info with local experts.

If you have clay tiles, but no steel liner, you might be ok, if you have the airspace clearances. That said, most folks recommend you run the steel liner that connects to your insert all the way up, and not just the minimum of running it to the first clay tile (USA only, Canada requires liner all the way up).

Read the Best Practices link in my signature for more details. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.