Would you pass on this free wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumber-Jack

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2008
Beautiful British Columbia
bigpine.JPG

It's right by the side of the road, and it's pine. Ponderosa pine that is.
I'm guessing 5 cords in that one tree, and no branches for at least 25'.

(edit) Not the one standing up. lol

I'd pass unless it was cut to length, split and delivered lol.. Surely you know us Noreasters are wood snobs :p

Ray

Holy Cow lot of rocks there. Yeah I'd seriously consider that, like you say it's an easy take being so close to the road. We're not use to cutting in such a rocky environment so cutting something that big without nicking the chain would be quite the challenge.

Lot's of noodling there I guess.

If I had the tools to cut it up and/or haul it, I'd take it.........if not......."Pass."

-Soupy1957

I would pass unless you have a tractor to pull it to a better cutting area. There is too much free stuff out there to damage a saw or yourself on something like that. The log size is not the issue...its the location.

There is many ways to cut that without worrying about the rocks and chain crap. I say take the challenge. You are smarter than that situation it is in. In fact I didnt see a situation in the first place. 5 cord, ponderosa pine beside the road.
Have some fun.

I agree. There is nothing to be concerned about with those rocks. You only cut the wood and not the rocks. It is very easy to do. I say take it.

Rocks schmocks

Cut it like you'd cut any other log: make cuts 3/4 through, then roll.

It's not rocket surgery.

If you have to, dig out some place to halve it.

Bring falling wedges.

Its climbing with the big chunks over the rocks that will be the issue. Me personally, not worth the time. Now if you have no firewood, well, I guess.

The answer is No, take it, use it, burn it. You'll never get it cleaner/closer, .

Look at the pic, it looks like after its cut that he will have to carry it over crappy terrain.

burntime said:
Look at the pic, it looks like after its cut that he will have to carry it over crappy terrain.

The road is to the right. just as he said.
(It’s right by the side of the road, and it’s pine.)

Ahh heck, then grab it. I looked at it thinking it had to be drug up a hill of rocks... That makes a big difference.

Sounds like timber to me, I'll take mine in 4x6, 6x6 and 2x6 T&G please. Really , it is probably worth a lot more as lumber than firewood, even out west!

Thanks for the replies. I drove past this log and went another 12+ mile (20+ km) to get other firewood last time I got wood. Not only me, but several other firewood collectors drove right past it that day too.. My son said "Dad why don't we just cut this one, there's more than enough to load the truck?".
You can back right up to the log, but my biggest problem was I don't think my 20" saw would have cut all the way through, even if I cut from both sides,,, which I think would be particularly hard because what you can't see in the picture is that it is resting at the top edge of a 10 ft. river bank. To cut from the other side I would be standing on the edge of the bank, or maybe down the slope below the log a bit. Never the less, as some have pointed out, I'm sure it could be done. Seems like such a waste to just leave it sitting there, It will be interesting to see if anybody takes it, but I doubt I'll be the one. *Sigh* I guess I'm with burntime on this one.
That tree actually came from the other side of the road, I'm not sure how it ended up on the river side like that, perhaps they pushed it over there, I don't know.

yanksforever said:
I would just tell them to buck, and split it and I would be back to pick it up. :)

Now THAT is the way to do it!

If you do take a shot at that, make sure you make the river side cut first. That way you are on the road side if one of them rounds decides to make a roll for it. Even being pine, them suckers are gonna be heavy.

You could approach this like I did a big white oak several months ago:
My 25" bar wouldn't make it through the whole log even taking a cut from both sides...so I decided to make a cut plunging in from the butt end - about 20 inches from the edge and then cut that off...repeat.

Attachments

• buttcut.jpg
    buttcut.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 164
Hunderliggur said:
Sounds like timber to me, I'll take mine in 4x6, 6x6 and 2x6 T&G please. Really , it is probably worth a lot more as lumber than firewood, even out west!

I doubt there's a mill in BC that will take pine

Status
Not open for further replies.