Wow, Car battery gernaded

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I have a car that I store in the winter and I didn't take it out this summer so since the weather was nice today I thought I would start it and run it around the block. I put in a good battery that had been on a trickle charger and when I turned the key BAM the battery expolded. Fortunatly, the hood was closed. The battery was completely dry so I figue my 1 amp charger must have cooked the battery and adding a load to it caused the explosion. Am I right on this? I guess I better invest in a couple of battery tenders that are safer to use.

Had to read that twice--first time I read, "I have a car that I stole in the winter . . . " :gulp:

How long did you have it cooking? Had you checked the liquid levels in it before you put it on the charger? Why do you keep it on a charger--how about just disconnecting the battery and storing it someplace warm?

I just keep spare batteries out in the cold...
I know it's not good for them, but sometimes you don't have space.
I put them on a trickle for a day or two every other month or so.
Haven't had any problems yet.

I had two trickle chargers I used for 20 years that I left two batteries hooked up to all winter in an unheated garage and I never had a battery run dry. Those chargers died this spring and I've been using a 1amp trickle motorcycle charger and apparently it was overcharging both batteries. I should have been more careful when I used a different charger. It's too bad I ruined the better of the two batteries.

Batteries do need to be charge on occasion. They get what's known as stand loss, and sulfate. You do need a charger that senses when the battery is fully charged, so it shuts down and doesn't boil the battery dry. Slow charging is the best. Some better chargers I believe pulse charge the battery as it gets nearer to a full charge. Heat is a batteries' enemy.

1 amp is way too much for a trickle. I would think 0.1 would be plenty.

Yes, you are right.

The battery had hydrogen gas in it, a byproduct of charging, along with some oxygen from the air. Being dry, when you put a load on it, there was a spark inside the battery. Result = explosion.

Glad you had the hood closed! Wash the car with baking soda/water mix to neutralize the acid.

Battery minder chargers regulate the current, and won't overcharge a battery.

heat seeker said:
Yes, you are right.

The battery had hydrogen gas in it, a byproduct of charging, along with some oxygen from the air. Being dry, when you put a load on it, there was a spark inside the battery. Result = explosion.

Glad you had the hood closed! Wash the car with baking soda/water mix to neutralize the acid.

Beat me to it. Right on the money seeker.

Status
Not open for further replies.