WOW! Do I ever APPEAR brilliant!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
My sweetie just called (0920) to ask how to get the garage door up since the power went out. (It is snowing and cold and blowing and icy and all those neat things today! They're about to close everything down around here!) I told her how to do it and she got off to wherever. She then called me back and said, "You certainly do appear to be brilliant, buying a woodstove AND a generator!"

The reason for the woodstove was in case we lost power, we would not freeze and could cook. The main reason for the generator was for the normal stuff PLUS we are on a well--if we have no power, we also have no water, unlike a lot of you city dwellers. We talked about that for a bit and then she went on and I went back to work.

Did you notice what she said? She didn't say I WAS/AM brilliant . . ., she said I APPEAR to be brilliant! :roll: After 38 years of being married to this woman, I can still depend on her to keep the possibility of me getting too proud very remote. Oh well, I do the best I can. She was also in favor of the stove and generator, because, if nothing else, she is, like me, very practical and likes to be prepared for the unexpected. AND she enjoys the heck out of the nice heat the FV puts out.

If she's anything like my wife you'll find good use for that "appear" in the future when describing her. ;)

enjoy the moment
you will do something later to mess it up........
you do have gas for the generator?? right
and have test run it recently

My brilliant self put my new generator in my detached concrete garage that has no door except the 55 year old garage door. Power went out, and it wasn't until I went to the garage door that it struck me- I had no way to get to my generator. I ended up crawling through a window...

Call it a brief flash of brilliance!! :) We had a bad ice storm last year. It left parts of the state without power for two weeks! We didn't have a stove, so we had to leave the house and go to the inlaws where they heat with wood. We had to move the whole family (four boys, wife and I,) two dogs and two iguanas for almost a week. :roll: Our indoor plants almost died. I slept home for three nights and lit a fire in the fireplace just to keep the pipes from freezing! We now have two stoves and a generator. Sure feels nice to know that if we lose power again we could stay home and be content!! Not to mention all the money we saved so far this winter by heating with free firewood. My wife wasn't happy when I spent $80 on a used stove last february (I was laid off and money was tight,) but it has saved us over a thousand dollars in heating costs. :bug: The funny thing is she still isn't willing to recognize that it was a good move!! :cheese: She sure likes the house at 73 °F , though!

Patapsco Mike said:
My brilliant self put my new generator in my detached concrete garage that has no door except the 55 year old garage door. Power went out, and it wasn't until I went to the garage door that it struck me- I had no way to get to my generator. I ended up crawling through a window...

"Now there goes that flash faster than the speed of light. That's totally something I would do! During last year's ice storm power outage my next door neighbor and I, were carrying a generator he was going to lend me, from his house on a hand truck when it fell off destroying the carburetor into pieces. :shut: Now there's a heart sinking feeling when you're only minutes away from having some sort of relief. We just looked at each other with a dumb disbelief look!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.