wOw I am having fun burning this pine!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
It's so E-Z to get started and very entertaining once it's going. I will definitely keep pine on the list. Heavy on the pine in spring/fall. Mixed with the hardwoods in the winter.

Yes as long as it is dry it is great! I feel bad for all the people around here who won't touch it.

I get plenty of KD pine and I love it...great this time of year!

I'm burning just lodge pole pine this year. I like it too. Pat

I was told to never burn Pine. I do have some Pine rounds (2 years old) that I split into little sticks as a firestarter....but never burn a load of it

Pine is fine !!! Great in the shoulder season. Now don't go and fully load the stove up, you then may be having your own thermo-nuclear meltdown.

Shawn

Pine rocks! I'll be burning mostly pine this winter...probably 5 cord worth. It's great, but doesn't leave much in the way of coals. Overnight burns will be 2yr old oak, but all pine during the day.

I burned some pine this year for the first time in my life after being raised to believe it would result creosote disaster (which i know is wrong now). I have to say that nothing seasons faster in my experience and it does indeed burn hot. Having some soft wood around comes in handy.

Beer Belly said:
I was told to never burn Pine. I do have some Pine rounds (2 years old) that I split into little sticks as a firestarter....but never burn a load of it

I'll bet you were also told about lots of things you should never do. Then you found out that you should also lose the qualifier "never."

Moderation is good, in moderation.

I got some pine from the snow storm last week, gonna cut and split it for next year.

Just got my first load after he storm. People thought I was nuts!

I warm my house up with this stove of mine.
I burn it hot most of the time.
Any thing that burns is mine.
Because it’s fine.
I burn the pine.

- Johnny Ash

BrotherBart said:
I warm my house up with this stove of mine.
I burn it hot most of the time.
Any thing that burns is mine.
Because it’s fine.
I burn the pine.

- Johnny Ash

That explains the Ring of Fire song obviously the sequel to your song :)

Ray

It's a cool tool, K !

I don't think she has a stove to burn it in. I don't recall seeing any pics. :mad:

Come to think of it, of Gamma's stove either.

BrotherBart said:
I don't think she has a stove to burn it in. I don't recall seeing any pics. :mad:

Pushy, pushy, pushy.

laughing-smiley-001.gif

Okay, I was raised that pine was creosote evil, but my dad has started burning it because of a bumper crop of dead pines on his property.

Is it best to burn really hot? Or doesn't it really matter? I have a fireplace that I like to use alot, and pine would be nice and cheap and plentiful.

gyingling said:
Okay, I was raised that pine was creosote evil, but my dad has started burning it because of a bumper crop of dead pines on his property.

Is it best to burn really hot? Or doesn't it really matter? I have a fireplace that I like to use alot, and pine would be nice and cheap and plentiful.

Just dry it over a year to a low moisture content liike any other firewood. Then burn it like any other firewood. Take it easier with the dead pines because they burn hotter and faster than fresh cut pine properly dried.

The mistake that people make is burning pine too early just because it will burn.

I've been burning pine this fall and loving it. I have barely had to touch my hardwoods yet. I'm very happy burning pine and poplar all fall. Tonight it's in the upper 20s so I through two splits of oak in there with a couple splits of pine. I anticipate a warm house and coals in the morning.

K glad to hear the 30 is working out for you.

I burned alot last year which was about 9 months seasoned which did ok. This year the remaining cord, now 1 year and 9 months is burning awesomely. It burns hot but quick. It had my NCI up to 800 without blower the other night.

BrotherBart said:

It's bad enough you get one lady mad at you but two! :eek:hh: :grrr:

zap

BrotherBart said:

OK smarty pants BB...you were off galavanting somewhere when I posted them....and they moved them over to the picture perfect forum....so many may have missed them because the thread was not left in the hearthroom with a black arrow for moved post...I hate when they don't use the move post thingy...Just sayin...
You did not miss Kat's pics because she has failed us.... :mad:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81551/

I must confess . . . I kinda enjoy watching pine burn during this time of year . . . especially since it often seems to put on a nice show with snaps, pops and a decent secondary light show.

Status
Not open for further replies.