Wrong length wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Had a couple of cords of wood delivered to top off the scrounging I did- ordered 18" cuts, but when I went out to the pile and looked at the cuts i realized that i was looking at 16" minus lengths.

Called the person who delivered the wood and was informed that he wanted to deliver the more seasoned stuff to me (it really is not that seasoned, trust me!). He is going to cut new lengths and trade out the shorter lengths.

At least he is making good on everything.

That is a sign of a good man when he tries to make things right after a mistake has been made. I hope you turn out good on this.

Backwoods Savage said:
That is a sign of a good man when he tries to make things right after a mistake has been made. I hope you turn out good on this.

Nope, is a good man- coming on Monday to make the exchange- i am even going to help him load the 2 cord of short pieces. Just could not justify putting 16" minus wood into a firebaox that can hold 24" logs. Defeats the purpose of having that large of a stove.

Remkel said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Nope, is a good man- coming on Monday to make the exchange- i am even going to help him load the 2 cord of short pieces. Just could not justify putting 16" minus wood into a firebaox that can hold 24" logs. Defeats the purpose of having that large of a stove.

Why didnt you order larger than 18"?

These two cord are 18 because my wife will also be loading the stove and it is just a little easier for her to handle. Most of the 3 cord I am cutting is 20".

Remkel said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I have all sorts of length (nobody to blame but myself) and it works out just fine. With 16 inch pieces in a 24 inch wide stove you could load the stove east/west with all of the 16 inchers to one side leaving an 8 inch space on the other side. This space could be loaded n/s (front to back) with shorter pieces. I find when I load my stove this way I get a nice quick start from the N/S logs and a densely loaded stove.

That is a rare wood guy you have there. I don't think most wood sellers would be so eager to make you happy.

I wouldn't have worried about a couple of inches. Of course, I wouldn't have ordered 18 inchers for a 24 inch stove, but I understand why you wanted to do so. I think I would have taken a third of your stack and cut them down to eight inchers. Then lay a 16 inch next to an 8 inch split. Then you could utilize that big 24 inch stove to its full potential and it would be easy for your wife to handle the wood.

But I wouldn't have quibbled with a good wood supplier over a couple of inches since you already ordered way short anyway. Now if they were two inches to LONG, that's a different story.

I'm glad I don't have to buy wood. I scrounge all that I need.

Well, the supplier came today and exchanged the two cords of wood. Most of the lengths came in at 19+ inches- which is just fine with me! The other 3 cord i cut is at 20" or so, so I think everything will work out in the end.

Kenster- I like your thinking, but that is a whole lot of work that I do not have the time for (thus the ordering of the 2 cord). I scrounge as much as I can and supplement with purchased wood when need be. I HATE purchasing wood as I grew up where we had 24 wooded acres that had all the beautiful hardwood we could ever need.

I wouldn’t have worried about a couple of inches

Whats wrong with me? I've been worrying about being a couples of inches short for a good part of my life..................................................

Remkel said:
Well, the supplier came today and exchanged the two cords of wood. Most of the lengths came in at 19+ inches- which is just fine with me! The other 3 cord i cut is at 20" or so, so I think everything will work out in the end.

Kenster- I like your thinking, but that is a whole lot of work that I do not have the time for (thus the ordering of the 2 cord). I scrounge as much as I can and supplement with purchased wood when need be. I HATE purchasing wood as I grew up where we had 24 wooded acres that had all the beautiful hardwood we could ever need.

Remkel, your wood guy is a keeper. Glad it all worked out for you.

Well, new load of wood is here- everything is 20"+ with this load- and they took the other load away. I had offered to be here to help, but had to deal with representatives from the government (MSHA) which delayed my getting home.

Great resolution all around and happy to have dealt with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.