Xmas lighting that was just "So WRONG!!!"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooserider

Mod Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006
Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
Went down to CT last weekend to do early Xmas festivities with the GF's parents... Among other things that we did was to go to a "Festival of Lights" put on at Lighthouse Point Park in New Haven. It was done as a benefit for Goodwill / Easter Seals, so a worthwhile charity and a pretty good take if you are into that sort of thing... They had lots of different light displays with a holiday theme, many animated, and sponsored by different organizations, companies, etc... It was impressive, but certainly not "green", tons of lights were being used, and they didn't look like the little low power bulbs we mostly see today, let alone the new LED lights that are supposed to be ultra efficient...

There was one exhibit that definitely struck me as amusingly "WRONG" though - Didn't see who sponsored it, but someone had, in bright lights, done the "Energy Star" logo.... :coolhmm: Can you say "unclear on the concept?" or maybe just a touch of "cognitive dissonance"... Everyone in the car thought it was a hoot...

Gooserider

LED lights are hard for old eyes to see, I like the sparkle effect they give as you drive by, but the light is rather directional, not what you would pay to see.

Well it's not like I want to seem Grinch-like, but my point was that from a purely "green" standpoint (or is that Grinch-colored??) there are probably not many commonly seen blatant instances of pure unadulterated power wasting as Christmas lights... They may be pretty but... So somehow doing up the Energy Star logo in lights seems like somebody just doesn't get the concept... If they had done it in the LED lights, it might have at least made the point of doing "energy efficient" decorating, but this looked like standard bulbs.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.