XXV 6 blink status light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MattinMA

Nov 14, 2022
New England
Hi there I'm a new member but been getting helpful info from here for awhile. I've got a 10 year old Harman XXV that keeps throwing a 6 blink error. I've read through the threads here which have helped a great deal but it keeps popping up. Here's what I've done so far. Replaced ESP, did a full deep clean of burnpot, exhaust venting ( which was quite dirty), checked my auger RPM (right at 4RPM), emptied the hopper to check the slide plate, removed and thoroughly cleaned the combustion blower, replaced the fiberglass rope on the door (currently will do ashpan as well). I thought I had it yesterday after getting into my dirty exhaust vent, it ran good for a few hours thorough plenty of heat. It started to shutdown, I just figured it had sensed the room temp but then I look and once again 6 blink status light!! Could this be a control board issue, I'd hate to buy one and it not fix my problem. Any help is so greatly appreciated, it's beginning to get cold up here in MA so I need this stove in good working condition. Thanks in advance!!

After 10 years, the rubber gasket on the fines box cover may be compromised. If that doesn’t seal properly, too much air entering the burn chamber and overcoming the fire. This causes the fire to collapse and for the expected heat output to drop instead of rise. This situation will also trigger a 6 blink status. IIRC, you have buy the cover and the gasket as a kit. About $25…

Ok so installed the new fines box cover and gasket. Ran good for about 45 mins then started to shut down and 6 blinks yet again. It seems my pellets aren't burning completely either... I'm not getting a fine ash. It's more like half burnt sawdust...

Ok so installed the new fines box cover and gasket. Ran good for about 45 mins then started to shut down and 6 blinks yet again. It seems my pellets aren't burning completely either... I'm not getting a fine ash. It's more like half burnt sawdust...
Did you ever find the issue? Mine is doing the same... 6 blink code, partial burn. I checked all the gaskets, the ESP, pulled the auger and made sure the auger motor turned at 4 rpm, confirmed the combustion motor is blowing. Did you have to replace the control board?

So after replacing every gasket and thoroughly cleaning everything. I decided to go outside and check my exhaust pipe that I had cleaned in the early summer. I found a bird nest completely blocking any exhaust from getting out. Removed it and fixed my problem. Replacing all my gaskets was a good thing though and I'm glad I went through everything. Hope this helps

So after replacing every gasket and thoroughly cleaning everything. I decided to go outside and check my exhaust pipe that I had cleaned in the early summer. I found a bird nest completely blocking any exhaust from getting out. Removed it and fixed my problem. Replacing all my gaskets was a good thing though and I'm glad I went through everything. Hope this helps
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I had a bird get down through the vent pipe at one point, but that's not the problem now. The vent is clear all the way through. I haven't gone up to the roof, but I can see daylight at the rain cap from below and get a draft (I held a piece of toilet paper up to the opening and the draft sucks it up).

Your post got me thinking though, and I may have just found my problem. I took some things apart again and took another look at the fines box gasket. I may have put the fines cover back on upside down. While it's symmetrical from top to bottom, there's an extra steel plate on one side of the box that makes an extra indent in the gasket on one side. If I put it back on backwards, the extra indent on the one side would not seal. I just put it on the right way by checking that the two steel plates on the box lined up with the extra indent in the gasket. The flames are back to normal.

Good grief... I think I spent two days taking things apart, cleaning, and checking the stove. At least I now know how to remove the auger, how to test the ESP and room sensor probes with a multi-meter, and have a more better understanding of the stove. I guess I'm a little more educated now :) Thanks again.