XXV Ash pan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgrinz

Jun 20, 2010
Western MA
Why is the ash pan too small for the inside of the unit?!?! I get more ash out of the ash pan, than I do in it! Its pretty much useless. I was thinking if they made the pan sides fold out, it would at least catch some of what goes flying to the sides. There is clearly several inches on both sides of the pan that just fill up quickly with ash.

Was just thinking the same thing. From what I can figure is that there needs to be air going around the ash pan for the combustion blower and air. The comb fan is behind the ash pan.

Interested in seeing some responses on this.

Although, once you are burning regularly and get a good ton thru your stove, you will find that is far from useless. Most of the ash makes it into the pan on my stove.

50-60% of the ash off myXXV makes it into the ash pan, the other 40% winds up as fly ash and lands all over the inside of the stove. I think they designed the ash pan like their coal stove pans, where there really isn't any fly ash and it just waterfalls over the pot into the pan. Not the best design IMO, but the other fantastic features of the stove far outweigh the minor inconvienience.

This is what I put in my stove to keep the ash in the pan, just a piece of drip edge. I just pops in and out.
IMG_1031_1_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.