XXV Door pops open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

linkm85

Feb 15, 2010
south central pa
I burn my stove 24/7 and it is 4.5 years old. This past weekend I heard a pop and entered the room to find the door to the stove open. I had a similar experience last season in the middle of the night. I clean the stove regularly and have no other major issues. When the door latches it seems pretty tight. Has anyone else had this happen? I am not accepting my wife's idea that the house is haunted.

I don't have a XXV, but that would scare the hell out of me!

Sounds potentially life threatening. Did you contact the manufacturer the previous time it happened?

Something similar was wrong with my Quest Plus in the beginning when I wasn't familiar with it.
Explanation was simple: The previous owner must have lifted the stove in the door or leaned on it, making the hinges very skew.
In fact there was a leaking gap at the bottom of the door.

On a Quest Plus it's easy to adjust the hinges and lock to perfect tightness and secure locking position. The side panels have to be removed in order to get access to the adjusting screws.
I would expect that a Harman XXV has a similar adjusting facility.

Bo

i would definitely get in touch with the dealer or Harman and get the issue rectified immediately.

either the bolts holding the mechanism are loose or have fallen apart.......open the door, look at the bolts holding the latch together....there's one big one, which is a hex head cap screw. This can loosen, and when it does so, the latch mechanism gets sloppy.....if you let it go too long, the bolt can fall out and the mechanism falls apart....judging from your query, I dont think you are there....yet. Take an allen wrench and tighten the bolt up....should take you, oh, 25 or 30 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.