XXV Igniter problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhdblfan

Jun 5, 2008
Central NH
Hi all,
and happy day after Christmas !!

My Harman XXV went out this morning so I checked and cleaned it but still no luck.

The pellets keep coming out of the burn pot and she does not fire up,the "igniter light is on.

Is it a lock that I need a igniter and how hard to replace?

Thanks

when you go thru a lighting cycle does the burn pot heat up, or is it cold? Is the igniter clean? The igniter is pretty easy to replace, but you need to have one, which might be difficult to get today, on the eave of the blizzqard we are supposed to get........in the meantime, you can always light manually, just remember to flip the stove into MANUAL.......(BTW, the ignitor light being on doesnt mean its working, only that its getting power)

I would lean towards the ignitor having gone bad.

Eric

Hi Lousy weather,
and thank you for the reply.

I did get her fired up,lots of smoke inside stove and came out exhaust !

I took the igniter out and (dropped it down) it looked clean.
The pot was just a bit warm when I tried it before and it won't fire,just dropped pellets.

Will monitor it now,wife has wood stove going and we have oil heat as a double backup.

Can the igniter start to go,on and off? Or is it a work or not thing?

thanks

nhdblfan said:
Hi Lousy weather,
and thank you for the reply.

I did get her fired up,lots of smoke inside stove and came out exhaust !

I took the igniter out and (dropped it down) it looked clean.
The pot was just a bit warm when I tried it before and it won't fire,just dropped pellets.

Will monitor it now,wife has wood stove going and we have oil heat as a double backup.

Can the igniter start to go,on and off? Or is it a work or not thing?

thanks

usually its a work/not work thing.........often ash will build up in front of it and divert the air around the fins, rather than through them............I GUESS they could weaken, but Ive seen none like that....they either work or not.......46-49 ohms of resistance, OR no continuity, which is a bad ignitor.

It's a pretty simple job to replace the igniter on the XXV, unless the rear of the stove is backed into a corner like mine. Anyway, here's how to do it.
1. Shut the stove down and after it goes off, unplug it.
2. Open the front door and remove the two thumb screws and plate that gives you access to cleaning below the firebox.
3. Remove the two screws facing front above the clean out opening. The igniter will come free and fall down. Note how the wires are routed. They come away from the igniter, and are routed low straight out the back.
4. On the left rear side of the stove, just below the control door there are two bolts that hold in the lower left panel. Remove them and the panel will slide out.
5. You will see a pair of yellow and pale blue wires coming out of a small rubber grommet. It is secured to the stove with a little silicone caulk. They travel up inside the stove where they are secured to the stove with a tie wrap. Cut the tie wrap.
6. Where the wires enter the grommet, cut the caulk away being careful not to cut the wires. Pull the grommet and wires out of the hole. This will loosen the wires so that you can now pull the igniter out of the stove from the front and the blue & yellow wires will follow.
7. Pull the igniter out far enough until the connectors are accessible. Disconnect the igniter.
8. Remove the igniter from the bracket by twisting the two tabs with a pair of pliers and removing the plate they are holding in. The igniter will then slide out of the bracket.
9. Place the new igniter in the bracket and secure with the plate and a slight twist to each tab.
10. Connect the two wires from the igniter to the two connectors in the stove. Remount the igniter bracket back inside the stove.
11. Route the wires from the igniter down to the lower right corner of the area beneath the firebox and out toward the back of the stove. Be sure the wires do not touch the metal plate with all the holes in it. Otherwise, they may be damaged and you'll be buying another igniter.
12. Pull the blue & yellow wires from the rear of the stove back into the rear compartment. Secure the grommet back in the hole to hold them in place.
13. Get a tie wrap and re-secure the light blue & yellow & the third wire back where they were originally.
14. Make a final check to be sure that none of the wires are anywhere in the way of the chain or the blower so there won't be any issues when you start it back up.
14. Put the lower panel back with the two bolts.
15. Plug the stove back in and fire it up.

large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.