XXV muffler/filter broken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletman

Jun 3, 2008
Southeastern MA
Hi Everyone,

I did something stupid and unscrewed the muffler (filter) in the hopper and now I can't get it back into the hole. The dealer came out and said that he couldn't fix it without taking the whole stove apart, which would be about a 4-5 hour job. He said to just put a piece of duct tape over the hole and that the stove would run fine with no loss of efficiency, and there would be no safety issue. Is this true? What do you guys think--do you need this muffler piece for the stove to run OK?

Thanks for your help.

I don't think duct tape will do 'er... it relays the vaccum in the hopper to the pressure switch, which allows the auer motor to turn.. if you cover it up w/ duct tape, then it will not relay that vaccum thru the tube and your auger will no go.

the muffler screws into a nylon block attached to a hose that then attaches to the vac sensor. you will have to open up the back, find the nylon block and hold it up to the hole in the hopper while you screw the muffler back in. not 4-5 hours, but you may need 2 sets of hands.

yes, it is a pain in the ass to wiggle your hands in there, but not a 4-5 hr fix...

on a side note, there is a swap out kit from Harman to remove the muffler (cuz sometimes they clog up with sawdust) and replace with a pin switch that sits under the hopper lid and interrupts the auger when the hopper is open (same function the muffler is supposed to serve) and relocate the vac sensor hose to the feeder box (that way it still makes sure you have proper combustion environment). totally covered by Warr and takes about 1 hour to do (if you know what you are doing).

Oh that sucks. I did the very same thing on my P43. It was a PIA to get it back on by myself. Two sets of hands would have helped me tremendously. What I ended up doing was using a couple of the mechanical fingers to feed the tube up to the hopper and hold it there while I screwed the muffler/filter on. Needless to say trying to align it on the hole and keep pressure on it was tough. Not sure if that will work on the XXV.

Oh and if I'm not mistaken placing tape over the hole with the hose end open wil not work.

pelletman said:
Hi Everyone,

I did something stupid and unscrewed the muffler (filter) in the hopper and now I can't get it back into the hole. The dealer came out and said that he couldn't fix it without taking the whole stove apart, which would be about a 4-5 hour job. He said to just put a piece of duct tape over the hole and that the stove would run fine with no loss of efficiency, and there would be no safety issue. Is this true? What do you guys think--do you need this muffler piece for the stove to run OK?

Thanks for your help.

Let me guess....the tech works for Ash Away? I told them to take the duct tape out of the service vans...what they really need is a clue.

summit said:
yes, it is a pain in the ass to wiggle your hands in there, but not a 4-5 hr fix...

I fixed this for them today...it was not a 4-5 hr job by any stretch. 37 seconds, but only because I have skinny arms. The previous tech jumped the switch and left the hose coiled in the back. He must have had fat arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.