Xxv spots on outside stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nayslayer

Jul 23, 2011
wallkill,ny
During my end of year cleaning I wiped down the outside of stove with damp sponge. I have noticed little spots on it and appears to look like rust starting. I sprayed and wiped down areas with wd40 and appeared to fix issue, but I now see its back. Any ideas? Thanks

photobucket-47371-1341797569741.jpg

Being a Yankees fan I guess I could offer you some help. You are dealing with cast iron, to make it short and sweet use WD or any oil based spray on your next rub down. Looks like before you get to that stage now you will need mineral spirits, sand paper, and satin black stove paint.:cool:

Is this something that generally happens to cast iron?
My new wood insert has some cast iron panels on it.
They already have a finish...I can't see slapping some oil on it.
The manual mentions nothing.

Moisture and cast iron don't get along well, my XXV is a 2011 and still looks brand new, prior to that stove I had a 2004 Accentra in which I had to repaint almost every year. I think Regencey has better paint adhesion/coating process, their stoves are bullet-proof. You might want to do a search on cast iron I am sure you can find allot of answers and procedures for the care of cast, hope this helps.

is the unit in the basement? Is humidity high where the stove is? Will probably get worse.......I'd sandblast or sand the stove (preferably sandblast) and put a good coat of paint on it. Finish isnt covered under warrantee, so, its all on you, especially since you are a Yankees Fan.

Thanks for the info guys even if your spoiled Yankee fans, I appreciate it. I think its just from me Wiping it down with a probably more than damp sponge....

Any time you use water on cast you have to immediately go over it with a dry cloth and get every last bit of moisture off.or it will rust. The same thing happens if you wash a cast iron skillet, you never let those air dry (Well maybe once, then the Mrs. uses it up side your head).

Status
Not open for further replies.