XXV top surface very hot/distribution blower not changing speeds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbean1025

Mar 21, 2007
Southern New Hampshire
My XXV top surface is hotter than ever before and smells of a new buring odor (probably paint). Distribution blower does not seem to change speeds when switched. Could the excess heat on the surface be from the distribution blower not blowing properly? If so, is the a big job to change the distribution blower? How can I test the blower?

Hey, PDK9,

<>My XXV top surface is hotter than ever before and smells of a new buring odor (probably paint). Distribution blower does not seem to change speeds when switched. Could the excess heat on the surface be from the distribution blower not blowing properly?<>

Before you pull the blower for testing, Harman suggests a couple of other diagnostic checks.
1. Make sure the stove & venting are clean
2. Make sure the ESP in the exhaust stream is not sooted up

<>If so, is the a big job to change the distribution blower?<>

No. Once you get into the rear of the XXV, there are only a couple of screws holding it in.

<>How can I test the blower?<>

The blower can be tested if you have a Multimeter...The Amperage shoud rad 1.5 & the resistance should be between 10.7 and 8.7 ohms

HTH

Hey PDK9,
are you running in stove temp or room temp.
did you lose power in the ice storm? I saw the damage going up 124 over Christmas...
Just a guess but could be board glitch or bad ESP. (something caused by power spikes perhaps...

I had a glitch once, similar but i couldn't get the Blower to stop running on HIGH, Stovetop was very hot and paint was curing again. The ESP took over and sensed high temp and kicked the blower to high to cool the stove down. It's almost like the stove forgot what is was doing in relation to room temp and ESP took over.......
only happened once.....
You have flipped the rocker switch?
turned the blower speed potetiometer?
Unplugged it and plugged it back in?

I appreciate the responses. I pulled the distribution blower and sent it to Heartline in Jaffrey, NH with the boss, I mean the wife... They tested it and found the motor to be in the process of burning out. Covered under warranty and will be back up and running as soon as the shopping is done and my blower is back home. Happy new year to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.