Y'all have RUINED me!!! - UPDATED WOOD ID?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
The first picture is when I first got my stove hooked up, man I thought I had a lot of wood.

Now I can't seem to pass up anything! I've got my shed loaded down and this is what my carport looks like now. I've got to get to splitting and stacking! I've seen more wood laying around everywhere. I know its not a lot of wood, but for someone that just began burning 6 months ago, it is quite a drastic change.

I won't tell my wife about this site or the influence y'all have on me - she'd probably try to hurt every one of you.

Attachments

• earlySeason.jpg
    earlySeason.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 659
  • carport_wood.jpg
    carport_wood.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 671
YOUR Welcome! lol It is better than paying for a gym membership!

:lol: Glad we could help! That's a nice splitting area,good to get in out of the hot sun or cold rain.Have to watch the low ceiling height though,unless you're a short old fart like me. ;-P

brianbeech said:
I won't tell my wife about this site or the influence y'all have on me - she'd probably try to hurt every one of you.

I'll be the first sacrifice; I'm not real close. I can be that evil, far away dude.

Keep gathering; haven't met a woman yet who hates to be warm.

Man I bet that carport comes in handy.

Keep it up you might be glad someday you have some extra.

mecreature said:

Definitely comes in handy! Not high enough ceilings to swing an ax under, but large enough for vertical splitting with the splitter (rented).

The shed in the background has a couple of ricks in it too. Man, I LOVE gathering wood - especially when it's already been cut to log length; does that make me lazy? :)

brianbeech said:
mecreature said:

Definitely comes in handy! Not high enough ceilings to swing an ax under, but large enough for vertical splitting with the splitter (rented).

The shed in the background has a couple of ricks in it too. Man, I LOVE gathering wood - especially when it's already been cut to log length; does that make me lazy? :)

Nothing about this game is lazy! There are a few on here I bet are a one man wrecking machine! (quads and lee come to mind)

smokinjay said:
brianbeech said:
mecreature said:

Nothing about this game is lazy! There are a few on here I bet are a one man wrecking machine! (quads and lee come to mind)

Lazy didn't get all that wood under your carport and in your shed c/s/s.

Even after an easy day of processing what ever the wood... I eat like a pig and sleep like a baby.

This is my first year so I am sure I will get smarter about it.

brianbeech said:
mecreature said:

Brian, you are a very wise man indeed.

Where do you keep your car now? Do you plan on filling that carport to the roof? No matter. When you look at your wood pile it will give you much pleasure and you'll also have the knowledge that it is better than money in the bank. The banks don't pay much interest but you will have great interest in keeping your family warm.

smokinjay said:
It is better than paying for a gym membership!
We could save some real cash if we can figure out how to run our cars on wood...

Nice stash, Brian! :coolsmile: What species have you got there?

As far as I know (thanks to this place) - I've got: Red Oak, Chestnut Oak, Catalpa, Eastern Red Cedar, Pine, Tulip - and one other I'm not sure about.

Backwoods Savage said:
...Where do you keep your car now? Do you plan on filling that carport to the roof?...

It is currently sitting in the driveway. I don't plan on filling the carport because I'd like to get my car back under there. I can safely fit 3 -4 ricks under there and still get my car in there. Just outside the carport is where I'll probably put a 16' rack. That should get most of the un-split wood stacked - and get it out of the carport.

Our old carport was much like yours. I recall several winters when we would have a row or 2 or 3 along the outside which effectively made it enclosed. It worked like a charm but we were always glad when spring was near and then started using that wood. Usually by the time the heating season was over most of that would be gone. I really worked out quite well and being on the north side also stopped a lot of that cold north wind during the winter months.

brianbeech said:
I've got my shed loaded down and this is what my carport looks like now.

Nice purpose built "woodport" if I ever saw one ;-)

Yeah, it IS nice to go out and have some wood VERY nearby and dry if necessary.

Can anyone identify my final species? VERY heavy wood - feels drenched.

Attachments

• IMG_1465_SMALL.jpg
    IMG_1465_SMALL.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1464_SMALL.jpg
    IMG_1464_SMALL.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_1466_SMALL.jpg
    IMG_1466_SMALL.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_1467_SMALL.jpg
    IMG_1467_SMALL.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 315
Really like the two-tiered firewood rack you have up against the wall. Do you find its much of an advantage having the two-tiers? Just wondering because I've thought about building one for wood storage under the deck. Maybe even a smaller version for kindling.

Jaugust124 said:
Really like the two-tiered firewood rack you have up against the wall. Do you find its much of an advantage having the two-tiers? Just wondering because I've thought about building one for wood storage under the deck. Maybe even a smaller version for kindling.

No, I don't find any advantage to it other than stability and looks; I've had more comments on how much people like that wood rack. I think I've got a good $13 in it.

To be honest, I think I actually lose a little bit of stacking space from the center tier - but, I do really think it looks nice. :)

wood dope said:
Looks like locust to me.

In all my lack of knowledge about wood, I was thinking Locust or Chestnut Oak. Glad I've learned enough to even venture a guess though...:D

You can't even imagine the piles you are going to have when you get 3 years ahead.

Please send us a picture when you get there.

Yep, this site hooked a bunch of us.
Know the feeling. Good feeling eh? Fun work.

What's bad is if you have no place to put it, but have lots of places just giving it away, you might get depressed cause you can't get more wood.
I haven't got more than I can stack & store yet , but I keep trying.
Never have enough wood :)
Very good pics.

now thats a nice set up. i must say that it looks completely and absoloutely normal to me. thats definately the best way to use that area.

Definately locust. Heavy bark and yellow wood. Burns hot as hell too so dont overload with it.

brianbeech said:
Yeah, it IS nice to go out and have some wood VERY nearby and dry if necessary.

Can anyone identify my final species? VERY heavy wood - feels drenched.
Its locust. Very heavy and won't loose much weight after its seasoned. Keep it separate from the rest. Its your prime firewood. Will definetly be ready for this coming heating season. Mix it with other hards depending on the heating needs. I keep some huge for overnighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.