yamaha pro hauler atv---anyone have any experience with one of these things?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefus78

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2010
Just Outside Indy
I havent seen one of those before. I would see what engine was used or what platform of ATV it was based off. At least then you would know you could find parts. For example...if it used a Yamaha MOTO-4 platform then most parts from that would fit the pro-hauler. If it is a late 80's machine as i suspect, they were pretty durable. Most were simple air cooled, single cylinder motors with manual transmissions. This simple design didnt leave much to go wrong. Keep the fluids full and fresh and you are OK. On the trail this would be a rough ride. Newer ATV's have independent long travel suspension and CVT transmissions for trail ease.

My opinion is that is a little high for a late 80's ATV (If it is that old). I just bought a "farm beater" atv last summer. It is a early 90's 4X4 Yamaha Timberwolf 250. Runs and looks good. I paid $600. I am wondering if this guy is having you pay extra because it is "rare".

I would suggest an ATV with a trailer (Usually can be had for $100 - $500) as an ATV suspension can only handle so much.

its a 230cc motor. I dont know what others used that motor...I know its shaft driven and has a rear locker..Im normally a honda guy.... it was only made one year (89). the other one is priced better.....asking 1200. NADA has em at 950 in GOOD condition.

I agree...atv with a trailer would be a cheaper and more capable option. I doubt that bed would hold much weight. Price sounds very steep....probably paying a premium for the novelty/rareness of it.

If you want a serious wood-getting machine I would opt for a 4x4...the difference is night and day.

Ya, 4x4 is the way to go if you want to do any hauling in wet or snow conditions. If you can do all your hauling when things are dry and no snow, it would probably work fine. You can opt for a pair of chains for the rear wheels if things get a little slippery. It would haul some wood for ya, but I think you would be much happier with 4 wheel drive. Just be sure you don't get one you get stuck having to put some money in. (rode hard) Tuff to beat a Honda or a Polaris. I need to find me a wood hauler sooner or later. I want something like this so I can bring the wife or one of the kids along.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008...tle-/160714633174?pt=ATVs&hash=item256b56afd6

and a trailer would be nice!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-Offroad...own-/190116839788?vxp=mtr&hash=item2c43d8c16c

Yamaha keeps parts in line for 20 years, then depletes NOS and does not replace. So, parts may be an adventure to come by.

^
|
|
|

Stuff old bikers know.

Also concur with other opinions above... maybe not the best wood hauler, and $1950 is... steep.

Pass . . . go with an ATV and trailer . . . preferably with 4WD . . . you would be better off as an ATV could be more of a multi-function toy/tool . . . price for a "rare" item is a bit on the steep side . . . besides "rare" is often another word for "expensive parts."

Never even heard of one of these. I have used a 6 wheeled polaris that is similar and I liked it very much but it was 4x4.

Just did some googlin and it looks like they were the precursor to UTV's. I had never even heard of one of these. Anyhow it seems that they want a premium price. Don't think it will be a bad deal if you can get that price in 1/2.

I should also mention that something that is late 80s or early 90s vintage is not so much considered "rare" so much as one would consider it "out dated", "old" and very likely "used up."

Status
Not open for further replies.