Yard invaders

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RNLA

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2010
I am not sure if there is anything I can do about the animals who choose to use my lawn and yard for their toilet. I had imagined lead poisoning, though that might not be friendly. The problem is simple, I don't have animals so there for I don't feel I should have to clean up after some other persons animal. I have tried a product called "Ropel" with moderate to poor results, Cayenne pepper powder with moderate to good results. I would like to hear of what others have done to keep the neighbors dog from crapping on their lawn. The big hitch is I can not prove who's dog it is??? I was thinking I could use a motion detector game camera to get a "mug shot".

Yeah I read other google leads about the DNA thing. I would consider that a last resort if the owner didn't do anything. The animal control is good at "negotiating" with irresponsible owners...

Yeah, man...I wasn't offering that up as a viable solution. How would you convince your dog-owning neighbors to submit DNA samples? I can't think of a simple solution, and I certainly sympathize. It's totally rude and irresponsible behavior on the part of the dog owners. Same thing has forced folks who run day care centers and such to put up chain link fences around their grass play areas here. Good luck...it's a damn tough problem when those responsible won't take responsibility. Rick

eye dropper full of bacon grease (You dont remember that joke?) :lol:

If you are friendly with the neighbors, call around and innocently ask if they are having the same problem. That way you aren't accusing them but letting them know you are tired. During the conversation I'd mention that if the problem doesn't stop on its own, you are going to turn it over the the dog warden (my small rural county has one, I'd assume yours would also).

pen

How much would it cost to rent an Elephant for a day?

We have constant and seemingly unlimited deer poop in our yard. I finally put up a fence and now can walk half of our property without having to check my shoes.

The deer poop is not fun but it is some how different. The wild animal is just that and I would totally understand if I lived in a slightly rural environment. This is in the city and is more of the principal than just the action of picking it up. The fact that someone is letting their animal loose to crap in my yard, "I don't know where he goes but I don't have to pick it up", the attitude just chaps my hide. >:-(

Word of the day: "fewmits" = deer poo

Just before my wife and I were married I bought a house. Close to us was one of those little corner country stores. I had known these people for years and never thought they'd be bad neighbors. However, the acquired to very large dogs and had the habit of letting them loose daily. The first thing they would do was to come into our yard to do their thing. I complained but it fell on deaf ears. So....several mornings when they opened their store they found a rather large pile of dog manure right in front of the door. Sometimes it takes something drastic to stop foolishness.

Backwoods Savage said:
Just before my wife and I were married I bought a house. Close to us was one of those little corner country stores. I had known these people for years and never thought they'd be bad neighbors. However, the acquired to very large dogs and had the habit of letting them loose daily. The first thing they would do was to come into our yard to do their thing. I complained but it fell on deaf ears. So....several mornings when they opened their store they found a rather large pile of dog manure right in front of the door. Sometimes it takes something drastic to stop foolishness.

I did a similar thing years ago. Someone was walking their dog and letting it do it's business in a strip of grass where I parked my vehicle. The piles mysteriously ended up on their front porch.

wahoowad said:
hot dogs laced with exlax?
Wow, that's a good one. Although a bit cruel to the animal, I am tremendously patient and will do what I can to prohibit the action. Then if it doesn't stop I'll take more aggressive action. I have been to the local feed store and bought some cayenne pepper powder. The suggested use is to treat the area when you pickup the waste. If this doesn't work I'm going for the live trap to get the animal, if it be vermin it will be "relocated", if it be house pet I'll call the animal control. :-/

Watch out on the relocation thing because in most states you need a permit to do so even if it is legal unless it is to another spot on the same lot you own and trapped the animal on.

In a number of states just putting certain live non domestic animals in or on a vehicle and transporting it on public roads is illegal.

Panhandler said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I did a similar thing years ago. Someone was walking their dog and letting it do it's business in a strip of grass where I parked my vehicle. The piles mysteriously ended up on their front porch.

LOL I did that to someone down the street when I seen their huge dog squat on over my rose bush in the front yard some years ago.1 shovel full dumped on their front step.

We had problems with dogs at one time,so I went and got a rat trap,drilled a hole in it and attached a strong string,tied it to a post,bait it, set it and forget it.next day reset it usually takes 2 to 3 times and the critters will find elswhere to go. If you think a rat trap is to much use a mouse trap. These things give them a good sting and noise and you might just have to clean up one more time,only it might be stuck a little higher than the ground. Also you might have to move it around a little. May not be the best if children are around.Use at your on discresion with neighbours and wildlife laws,etc.

I remember hearing about someone having a continual problem with the neighbors' dogs, and they finally came home one day with bullseye targets spraypainted on their side.

Okay, I am not seriously recommending that as a solution . . .

The paintball guns work to notify the owners that the animal had been trespassing. I'm thinking a wildlife camera would be cool to get the goods before I go to "more extreme" measures. The special delivery will absolutely happen if I get a positive identification.

Status
Not open for further replies.