Year after year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
Year after year I see this question.... So has anyone run vents frome stove room to other rooms??? Does it work??

Details pls. How far u going. Size of ducts. Are u using fans.

Yes, but we have a wood furnace so that's cheating. If you talking about ducting, there's usually more heat loss than gain. Cutting vents throughout a home can be a fire hazard if a fire ever occured. It's also a quick way for smoke to travel. Sometimes it's not the fire that causes damage. In 93 this home had a little fire about 3' in diameter. The smoke caused about 16,000.00 in damage and was very toxic. Not fun to live in a motel for 9 months. Before I would start cutting holes, I would just install a furnace and call it done. Furnaces get a bad wrap but thats changing as technology changes.

I might install a second stove. :)

laynes69 said:
Yes, but we have a wood furnace so that's cheating. If you talking about ducting, there's usually more heat loss than gain. Cutting vents throughout a home can be a fire hazard if a fire ever occured. It's also a quick way for smoke to travel. Sometimes it's not the fire that causes damage. In 93 this home had a little fire about 3' in diameter. The smoke caused about 16,000.00 in damage and was very toxic. Not fun to live in a motel for 9 months. Before I would start cutting holes, I would just install a furnace and call it done. Furnaces get a bad wrap but thats changing as technology changes.

Yep. I am getting ready to put in a wood furnace with natural gas backup. I am hoping this thing works as advertized.

I have a setup like this - it was this way when I bought the house. Basically the woodstove is beside the gas furnace in my basement. There is a large opening in the duct work over the stove, about 4 feet above it. Theoretically this would carry the heat through the vents into the rest of the house using the same ducts that the gas heat would use. My stove has a blower with it and when you turn the blower on you really feel it coming out of the vents. I don't turn the blower on often because I don't need to and I don't want to spend the money on electricity.

My living room is upstairs directly over the woodstove. There is also a large hole cut in the floor of the living room with a grate over it so the heat from the stove comes straight up to the living room. Consequently the living room is by far the warmest room in the house. If I cover the grate then more of the heat goes to the basement and into the ducts.

I think this setup is nice to have but it is the only one I have had so I really don't have anything to compare it to.

Red, it sounds like a bad setup. It's a way to depressurize the room the stove is in. Sure the furnace pulls in heat, but it also may pull in other things like carbon monoxide. It's against code to have a return that close to the stove. I just wouldn't trust it.

The install starts (I guess) with a register in the ceiling of the stove room (14x10') and has insulated flex duct (10") running about 25' to about 5' before the kitchen.
There's a 10" x 8" x8" Y there. One of the 8" Y's goes to the kitchen and the other goes to a register in the bathroom about 10' away. The 10" section of the Y has an inline blower/fan which is wired to a dimmer switch, and when turned on less than halfway we get a pretty good warm air flow into those rooms.
I've thought of reversing the inline fan to push cooler air into the stove room, but haven't gotten to it (attic makes me crazy). :mad:
I've also thought of moving the one in the kitchen to the back bedroom about 20' farther by reducing to 6" flex. Haven't done that either.

I'm wondering if I could get my 4 bedrooms some good free heat about 20' away. I have heard stories. Sone sound good in theory. But mist say u lose too much heat.

You could cut holes in the floor if you put in a fire damper.

I'm in a 2500 sqft ranch on a crawl

Occo370 said:
I'm in a 2500 sqft ranch on a crawl

I need to add a helper line to my sig. I am almost in the same boat as you. A 4 year old, 2 year old, and yellow lab. Check out my pic in the "My wife says you guys" thread. My 4 year old was actually running the splitter lever yesterday for about 30 minutes. She was doing a great job and she was super excited about it. She was excited about brooming up too.

laynes69 said:
Red, it sounds like a bad setup. It's a way to depressurize the room the stove is in. Sure the furnace pulls in heat, but it also may pull in other things like carbon monoxide. It's against code to have a return that close to the stove. I just wouldn't trust it.

I did have some questions about it when I bought the house. Before I bought it, I had 5 different professionals look at it and assure me that it agreed with code and was safe. The home inspector also. After their assurances that it was safe, I bought carbon monoxide detectors for every room in the house and I check them every week. I really enjoy burning wood but I also am wary of what could go wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.