yellow birch moisture content/ seasoning time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Tried a search first, but didn't pull anything up.

What is yellow birch like on moisture content when cut, and also how is it at speed of seasoning?

I've burned some before that someone else took down for me, and love how it burns- lots of heat content, and a good bed of coals that seems to lead to particularly good combustion in my gasifier.

Now I have access to more to cut myelf. I have not been able to find any data on % moisture, and don't have any experience yet on whether it's a quick-seasoning wood, or closer to something like the oaks that really seem to need a long time.

I know that the experienced self-cutting folks will all chime in about how I should be several seasons ahead on cutting and stacking wood- I don't disagree, but need to work on getting there, eventually.

Thanks

By yellow do you meen river birch, if so last year I had some and it was season about a year and done quite well. (no m/m)

Yellow birch seasons like white and black birch do which means that you really need to split it and stack it for it to season well since the bark really holds the moisture in otherwise. Aside from that, stacked now in loose single rows, in good breeze and sun, you could burn it quite nicely this winter. It is not like oak in needing two years or so to season, but like most wood, I think two years is best if you can. I agree that yellow birch is nice firewood. Very dense and good coals, lots of heat. Plus it's beautiful wood, both as a tree with it's beautiful bark and as flooring and cabinets. In the lumber industry it's often referred to as red birch though there really isn't a tree with that name. But the wood does have nice reddish hues in its grain patterns which I imagine it gets that name from. My in-laws have it for flooring in a seasonal home in Maine and it's one of the prettiest grained wood floors I've seen.

What little we've cut seasoned well in a year.

I like yellow birch . . . seems to do a bit better BTU wise than white birch (which I also like by the way), coals up nicely, the bark tends to catch on fire pretty quickly and it seasons within a year . . . no idea on the moisture content.

Yellow Birch can be a bit of a bear like Elm to split. Back when I was splitting with an axe, I eyed them up with trepidation. In fact, I bought my 20 ton splitter the year I could not get any of my favorite Ash and had to settle for Birch.

Status
Not open for further replies.