Yellow flowers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fuelfarmer

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2010
VA
We grow winter canola as an energy crop. I never get tired of seeing the fields in bloom.

canola2012.jpg

canola20121.jpg

canola20122.jpg

That surely brightens up the countryside!

Beautiful place you live in farmer. I miss seeing the mountains but nothing better to me than flat fields. :p

Beautiful. Are you in the Shenandoah Valley? Is a crop like this one you've shown us destined to become Biodiesel? Thanks for the gorgeous glimpse into your world. Rick

Yes we are in the Shenandoah Valley. And yes, the canola oil will be made into biodiesel

I thought it looked familiar. My wife & I lived in Fairfax for 12 years before moving to Oregon in 2007. We had a "weekend" place on the South Fork of the river, about 9 miles north of Luray, 15 south of Front Royal on 340. My daughter earned her BA in Math at JMU in Harrisonburg, 2003-2007. I much preferred the life, the pace, and especially the people out there in the valley to those 70 miles east in Fairfax. When you're not planted in canola, what do you grow in that beautiful ground you've got?

We are just a little east of JMU on the South Fork of the river.

For the most part we plant "normal" crops like corn, hay, soybeans, and small grain. Canola is unusual around here.

This photo shows crops that we use for energy on our farm. We don't use all of every crop for fuel. Grain is getting a little pricey to burn so we are starting to burn wood chips to replace most of the grain that was burned in the past.

smenergycrops.jpg

More photos flowers
2010canola8.jpg

2010canola7.jpg

Soybeans in the Fall
soybeans3.jpg

I know it's a hell of a lot of hard work...but that's one beautiful piece of ground you've got there, and it looks to be impeccably taken care of. The buildings in the distance in one pic lead me to believe you're raising chickens or turkeys or something as well as all the crops. It's interesting to think that I passed close by your place many times when my daughter was at JMU (she played Alto Sax in the Royal Dukes Marching Band, so of course I had season tickets to all the football games ;lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.