Yesterday i just had to treat my wife to night out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drozenski

Aug 14, 2010
Rochester NY
Here's a little back story to what happened yesterday.

I have been working on my new wood property for a few weeks now. So far I've had a few customers and sold 2 cords of wood. I had 3.5 cords split and stacked. with another 15-18 cords in logs/rounds. This past week they began repaving the street our front. Usually i could care less but on Thursday i found the chain to my lot knocked over and about 20 pieces of heavy equipment on my lot. To say the least i was pissed. I ended up talking with the contractor for the job and he agreed to install me a new chain, posts and got me a nice new heavy duty lock. I agreed to let him turn his dump trucks around during the day but not to park his equipment their over night.

So fast forward to Friday. A construction worker stops by and asks how much im selling and for how much. i pointed to what i had split and stacked and said it's all for sale. "Great!" he said. "Ill be by Saturday with my father to pick up a load"

So now it's Saturday i got their at 10am around 11 i was getting frustrated as i didn't think he was going to show and i had things to do. I started packing up the car when in pulls 2 construction dump trucks 1 pulling a front end loader with a grapple. Out jumps the guy i met the other day and his father.

Here was out convo.

Me- "That's alot of equipment for only 3.5 cords"
Him - "I thought you said it was all for sale"
Me - "It is"
Him - "Im here to buy the logs and rounds also"
Me - " Wait WHAT!"

Well to make a long story short his father owns a large dairy farm and has a outside wood fired boiler to heat his barns. He cant take any wood off his property cause of beaver damns this year flooding the area and the state wont let him destroy them. So all in all he came back twice took all my wood. All in all i guy him a break. 21 cords total with 3.5 split for $4000.00

When i came home to the wife with this massive wad i could help but take her out for a nice steak dinner.

Finally we have some money to help with the cost of having a child.

He actually said i was the cheapest in the area, some of the wood services wanted 250-300 per cord now that demand is so high.

Awesome 21 cords is a lot of work....

The only problem with that story is your business can only go downhill from here. I can't imagine selling firewood is going to get any easier.

Wood Duck said:
The only problem with that story is your business can only go downhill from here. I can't imagine selling firewood is going to get any easier.

I have another load coming this week about 4-5 cord unsplit..

But your right im now out of wood for any new or current customers. Ill have to cut/split like a beast to have some inventory this week.

Outstanding!

drozenski said:
Wood Duck said:

But your right im now out of wood for any new or current customers. Ill have to cut/split like a beast to have some inventory this week.

That is a good problem to have. I have seen a few people moving firewood in the past few weeks, but judging from their equipment they are either farmers or firewood sellers. There are a lot of people in this area that get loads of logs each fall and burn them the same winter, and I haven't seen any log loads delivered yet this summer. Around here firewood season hasn't started for most people.

Congrats, that is nice cash for wood the majority of which you didn't have to process or deliver. You make money on the drop off too right? That is going to be one well dressed kid.

[quote author="drozenski" date="1310928978"]

Nice, how was the steak?

zap

You cant beat that, no splitting and didnt spend any money on gas making deliveries, pure profit.

drozenski said:
Wood Duck said:

You should really think about getting a splitter...that splitting axe is going to ruin your shoulders.

DanCorcoran said:
drozenski said:
Wood Duck said:

You should really think about getting a splitter...that splitting axe is going to ruin your shoulders.

I have a splitter. Im thinking of investing in the super splitter though. The 1 second cycle time is very very appealing.

Lets go back to the beaver dam thing. I had heard that there were problems with that up north. What is the reasoning for the State not letting them be removed?. Down here the state helps destroy them. I even pay a voluntary tax for some family farm land in AR to assist in the removal of beaver dams. They are extremely destructive rodents. I have had to fight them on my own land and my neighbor lost over 10 acres massive maple trees due to our beaver problem.

Beavers are useless. They all should die. Up here you have to be careful ripping the dams out. Little to a time, drain slowly.

I have a dairy farmer that burns about 60 cord a yr. He just had his headlands cut back, Now he has 120 cords in his yard. The hired hands know what they can do when they're done the chores. :)

Congrats to you. Hope you get it to mutiply by 10x or 100x!

lucky, things just don't happen that easy, they even brought their own grapple, you did not have to cut it, split it..

Bspring said:
Lets go back to the beaver dam thing. I had heard that there were problems with that up north. What is the reasoning for the State not letting them be removed?. Down here the state helps destroy them. I even pay a voluntary tax for some family farm land in AR to assist in the removal of beaver dams. They are extremely destructive rodents. I have had to fight them on my own land and my neighbor lost over 10 acres massive maple trees due to our beaver problem.

From what i understand the beaver dams that are now flooding his land also flood some state owned park land. I guess if he destroys the damns than the marsh will dry up. He said it's happened before but this is the highest he's seen the water in the past 20 years. So im not 100% sure on his exact situation.

Drozenski, we couldn't be happier for you. That is fantastic to say the least. May this be just the beginning of great things coming your way.

Good deal for both you and the seller.

I bet your wife is sold on the firewood business now. Sometimes you've got to get lucky, right? That's a good story: "You said all of it was for sale, right?"

Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.