Yet another tree I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beardley

Burning Hunk
Feb 5, 2009
Cato, NY
Two trees here. The first I took down. My original thought was ash, but the dark heart wood is throwing me off. The second is standing dead, and I have no clue. . .\

Tree 1
36932963.a5af1c.jpg

36932959.9f8899.jpg

36932960.01c9f4.jpg

Tree 2
36932972.d8ccba.jpg

36932979.810e6c.jpg

36932965.3983f8.jpg

I believe the second one is a dead elm.

First is ASH second is Dead Elm.
That Ash has huge growth rings like a monster I took down last year. It has an abnormal stain which is throwing us off (prob diseased).
Let me ask this.... was bark missing off one side of the butt end......

WoodButcher

Attachments

• stained-ash.jpg
    stained-ash.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 312
  • ASH_01.jpg
    ASH_01.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 293
WOODBUTCHER said:
That Ash has huge growth rings like a monster I took down last year. It has an abnormal stain which is throwing us off (prob diseased).

WoodButcher

No bark missing at all. Looked healthy as far as I could tell. . . This tree was growing in a swampy area right next to a very small stream through the swamp. Could this be a factor? I have had a few I thought were Ash, but the stain threw me off. I guess I'll take that elm down too then.

+1 to the Ash and standing Dead Elm.
That Ash, 1st pics, looks like it has been "tapped" or something. Hard Maple hearts flare like that after they have been used for Maple Syrup production, though the heart wood flare tends to travel towards the tap. Is it possible that the Ash has had nails pounded into it? Was it on a fenceline. ?

mainstation said:
+1 to the Ash and standing Dead Elm.
That Ash, 1st pics, looks like it has been "tapped" or something. Hard Maple hearts flare like that after they have been used for Maple Syrup production, though the heart wood flare tends to travel towards the tap. Is it possible that the Ash has had nails pounded into it? Was it on a fenceline. ?

Unlikely. It's in the middle of a swampy area. I will however take a little caution when I buck it up.

Yah that dark center does not look like the ash I have cut but the bark looks right.
2nd looks just like alot of the elm I get with the bark falling off a standing tree, splits tough without a splitter but burns decent enough.

beardley said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

No bark missing at all. Looked healthy as far as I could tell. . . This tree was growing in a swampy area right next to a very small stream through the swamp. Could this be a factor? I have had a few I thought were Ash, but the stain threw me off. I guess I'll take that elm down too then.

Ash and elm both grow in somewhat wet ground. We have a few dozen ash that are in standing water right now. Most of the elm are right on the edge of wet areas and also like to grow along creeks and ditches.

Another vote for the ash-elm ticket.

I have cut a few ash that have that dark staining. I can't recall if it went away or not.

75% certainty on 1st tree. 100% on the 2nd tree.

Have fun splittin that elm!

CrawfordCentury said:
Another vote for the ash-elm ticket.

I have cut a few ash that have that dark staining. I can't recall if it went away or not.

75% certainty on 1st tree. 100% on the 2nd tree.

Have fun splittin that elm!

Oh I'll try. Luckily, I have a 22 ton splitter, and its not by hand. If it were, I think I would leave it there to rot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.