You gotta love Craigslist!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those cardboard boxes sure don't look like 4'x4'x4'. Most pallets are 40"x48" The wood is loose tossed into them so there is lots of air space.

ending up with a big truck driving across your yard and dumping a big, messy pile of firewood scattered all over the place??

I dunno....personally I love when that happens!

Those guys must have been bored crazy and saw one of them boxes sitting next to a dumpster.

I see the pallets everywhere but have not seen the boxes yet. Those boxes look like the ones that you drop a liner in and put oily/hazardous/non-haz waste in and send straight to the incinerator. i guess it saves wrapping the pallet up.

And on the price side, yeah, they cost a bit but folks around here cannot wrap enough of the pallets. For those who only want one pallet at a time in their garage, this is perfect.

IF those boxes are 4x4x4 then those splits in the picture are more than 2' long eh? Not to mention that the box doesn't even cover the pallet, perhaps they are large pallets and big splits. Hmm... I wonder how well they would take it if someone with a tape measure refused delivery. Of course with those prices I suppose they can afford a few failed attempts.

How Do these guys come up with these prices where i am from a cord is 150 to 200 hundred depending on species better off paying the gas man for those prices

CSD wood here is EXPENSIVE

Eisele said:
How Do these guys come up with these prices where i am from a cord is 150 to 200 hundred depending on species better off paying the gas man for those prices

Some folks pay those prices - I agree those prices are too much for my tastes for 24/7 burning but it is better than the supermarket bundles if that is what you are into...

Oil is now around $280/gallon for me (no gas option) so if I were buying C/S/D wood I could probably justify $250/cord on a cost only basis (not sure of the exact calculation though.. I'm sure someone will jump in with it though eh?) However, given the work involved I'd rather split my own and scrounge, buy logs etc to keep it below $150/cord (less than $100 is the target). Everything here is expensive.

I see 220-250 consistently on craigslist here in MA. As far as the quality, who knows. Just bought a house in Nov. no wood stove yet but we have been using the fireplace. I ordered a "truckload" delivered for $75. He showed up with an old f150 standard bed slightly filled over the sides. Didn't even stack it because the fireplace just pours through wood. The pile was around a 6ft circle and about 4 feet high. Just what we needed for the holidays I have about two days worth left. Not a great deal but WAY better than the gas station bundles. Plan on getting a stove when the tax return comes in...

Slow1 said:
Oil is now around $280/gallon for me ...Everything here is expensive.

but it is now bioheat... not oil... that will save my wallet... thank you Commywealth.

Slow1 said:
Oil is now around $280/gallon for me (no gas option) so if I were buying C/S/D wood I could probably justify $250/cord on a cost only basis (not sure of the exact calculation though.. I'm sure someone will jump in with it though eh?) However, given the work involved I'd rather split my own and scrounge, buy logs etc to keep it below $150/cord (less than $100 is the target). Everything here is expensive.

Oil is $280/gallon (Two Hundred Eighty Dollars per Gallon)? Boy, I am in the wrong biznez! Or is it Two Dollars Eighty Cents are a gallon?

Peace,
- Sequoia

The boxes are called 'gaylords'. They could be 4'x4'x4'. They come in many sizes.
They are available here in Eastern PA used for about $5.

The wood seems expensive, but if I just had a fireplace and had 10 fires a year that might be an option.

TreePapa said:
Slow1 said:

Oil is $280/gallon (Two Hundred Eighty Dollars per Gallon)? Boy, I am in the wrong biznez! Or is it Two Dollars Eighty Cents are a gallon?

Peace,
- Sequoia

At that price, to fill my 275 gal tank would be . . . DANG, I can't count that high!!!

I paid $2.97 (Two dollars and ninety seven [point three]cents) a gallon (only 53! thankfully) plus a 2.5% tax between Christmas and New Years.

Still, highway robbery...

PJF1313 said:
TreePapa said:
Slow1 said:

Peace,
- Sequoia

At that price, to fill my 275 gal tank would be . . . DANG, I can't count that high!!!

I paid $2.97 (Two dollars and ninety seven [point three]cents) a gallon (only 53! thankfully) plus a 2.5% tax between Christmas and New Years.

Still, highway robbery...

Ok.. I missed putting the . (point) in there to make it $2.80 but I think you all got the point now didn't you? Geez... almost like folks here are waiting for a tree to fall so you will have something to do! :)

Then again this is Mass (the state that is... not referencing a term used in physics) here and I suppose anything is possible so I can see your confusion.

They're expensive, but if the box measured to be a true half cord and the wood was dry I'd bet most people would be happy. If the client didn't like what arrived they could certainly refuse delivery. I figure they must be there to let them into the garage.

Matt

As someone pointed out they ae called Gayords. We use those at work all the time, for shipping non haz waste, and they are one cubic yard, i.e. 27 Ft3 so they are more like scant 1/4 cord.
So it would take a tleast 5 boxes or $900/cord. For that price I'll burn oil!!!

EatenByLimestone said:
They're expensive, but if the box measured to be a true half cord and the wood was dry I'd bet most people would be happy. If the client didn't like what arrived they could certainly refuse delivery. I figure they must be there to let them into the garage.

Matt

I can guarantee you just by looking at the picture that it is not even close to a half cord, those splits are enormous and they are thrown in.

I think anyone that would buy this does not really care about getting thier $ worth.

- Kudos to the guy that is capitalizing on the "I can't be bothered" genre.

Also if those boxes are 4'x4'x4', that guy must be like 7' tall. Add in the height of the pallet + "4ft" box height and he's still got like 2.5' on that box.

gorrie16 said:
Also if those boxes are 4'x4'x4', that guy must be like 7' tall. Add in the height of the pallet + "4ft" box height and he's still got like 2.5' on that box.
I did that yesterday and came up with about 6.5ft let me see if I saved the picture....

here it is. (why does it keep denying my post!!!!!)

Attachments

• firewoodbox.jpg
    firewoodbox.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 216
I think its more like, "Boss, de plane, boss, de plane!"

The price, 2 boxes for $350 is right on the money. Yes, firewood does cost that much in eastern mass. The quantity though? That is certainly in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.