You know that you're known as a wood burner when...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Friends are having trees cut down and make sure you get the wood or your FIL calls you to tell you that a neighbor is cutting a tree down and asks if you want the wood and offers to bring it over in his truck. It's nice to have the word out!

Bad thing is I tweaked my back splitting some wood and I'm out of commission for a little while. FIL was going to ask the neighbor if it can stay there for a little bit while I heal.

fv

......you are leaving the beach on Roatan, Honduras and you see a tree that is cut down and bucked up and your family asks you if you are going to try to pack it back home.

You take your family out to dinner and run into a guy from work, and you introduce him to your wife and kids, "This is ...., I work with him and he just bought a gassification boiler too." When you do, you make sure you are looking at your wife in anticipation of her reaction, because you know it is only going to take a split second for her to roll her eyes, shake her head, and start laughing with you. :lol: (I might spend a little too much time talking about my boiler and the whole wood c/s/s thing. I might.

You are hiking in a national park and start going into convulsions when you see fresh deadfall that can't be claimed.

You call in work sick because the power company is trimming trees and you don't want to risk the chance of some other deranged wood horder getting the stash! :)

wishlist said:
You call in work sick because the power company is trimming trees and you don't want to risk the chance of some other deranged wood horder getting the stash! :)

:lol: That's bad wishlist. Funny, but you got it bad! :lol:

...Friends invite you over to dinner and all you can do is obsess over the dead limbs in their back yard.

...on a drive with your wife, you look towards her and smile. She sees the longing look on your face smiles back, the smile turns to frown and she says "You were looking at that old grove of trees weren't you?"

schlot said:
...on a drive with your wife, you look towards her and smile. She sees the longing look on your face smiles back, the smile turns to frown and she says "You were looking at that old grove of trees weren't you?"

I get the "eyes on the road please" comment all the time and we all know what its about

You take longer, alternate routes to and from work just to see if there is any good scrounging opportunities in the area.

Everytime you put on a clean pair of pants you still pull wood chips out of your pockets. I've sprinkling wood chips from my pockets all over the world literally.

wkpoor said:
Everytime you put on a clean pair of pants you still pull wood chips out of your pockets. I've sprinkling wood chips from my pockets all over the world literally.

fireview2788 said:
Friends are having trees cut down and make sure you get the wood or your FIL calls you to tell you that a neighbor is cutting a tree down and asks if you want the wood and offers to bring it over in his truck. It's nice to have the word out!

Bad thing is I tweaked my back splitting some wood and I'm out of commission for a little while. FIL was going to ask the neighbor if it can stay there for a little bit while I heal.

fv

Not good news at all. Let's hope that back shapes up fast.

When your neighbor gets a quote to have six big trees taken down around his house and he has the guy quote it without them hauling the wood and brush away. And tells you later that he knew he could haul the brush and that I would bust up and haul away the wood.

Of course the two days they took down the trees it was sixty degrees and sunny. Now the whole mess is covered in snow in his front yard. :ahhh:

wishlist said:
...some other deranged wood horder...

Now, there's some honesty, right there. :lol:

+1 wishlist and wkpoor.............................

When you have a tan in January and all your friends and family know it's from sitting in front of the stove watching the fire. :coolsmile:

John the Painter said:
When you have a tan in January and all your friends and family know it's from sitting in front of the stove watching the fire. :coolsmile:
NICE!!!

When friends invite you over for cards and ask if you can bring some dry wood too! (really happened)

John the Painter said:

Does that work? I see a business opportunity for tanning salon.

My FIL did get the neighbor to set aside the logs for me, this was a silver maple. Then I found out he had his oak cut back and he saved all of the branches off it for me too! Might be a quarter cord total but that's 1/4 of the way to a full cord.

fv

some other deranged wood hoarder

Hey! back off Jack. I resemble that remark! LMAO that's the best one I've heard in a while. A C

Still a newbie, but was referred to as "the guy with all the wood".
Flattering, I guess.

I don't talk much about my wood hoarding skills but word has gotten out. When folks come over to our house my wife wants to walk them through the house and they always ask where is your big stack of wood? When I show them they are usually blown away by the volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.