Yukon Big Jack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Orionsoracle

Mar 15, 2024
Wisconsin
Folks I have a Big Jack roughly 17 years old. I found holes in the firebox where the angle irons are weld in for the diverted plates. Holes are 3/16th or so. Also a Crack on the backside of firebox about 11 o'clock. Should I be concerned? Besides physically tearing it apart to weld,anything else I could do? Thank you for replies

Folks I have a Big Jack roughly 17 years old. I found holes in the firebox where the angle irons are weld in for the diverted plates. Holes are 3/16th or so. Also a Crack on the backside of firebox about 11 o'clock. Should I be concerned? Besides physically tearing it apart to weld,anything else I could do? Thank you for replies
You may be able to weld things up and get by a lil longer, but when a furnace made of heavy steel like those are get holes, its telling you that it has served its purpose and is about "kaput"...the steel is gonna be so brittle that it does not take repairs (welding/etc) well...I'd start looking at new ones...and having owned both a Yukon BJ, and a Yukon Husky, I can tell you that the best thing I've done is to remove and replace with a Kuuma Vaporfire 100! I hear they have a spring sale on too... https://www.lamppakuuma.com/vapor-fire-100/